Mashed potatoes from baked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure. They'll be great. They will be drier than boiled so you may have to add a touch more liquid.

Connie
when I make twice baked potatoes, I mash them first then add the other goodies. Things like sliced green onion, sour cream or cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, or garlic butter even mashed then add some gravy to which I've added sauteed mushrooms YUM..Makes me want to eat for the first time in days:LOL:

kadesma

I cut them up, put them in a plastic bag with a little water, and nuke them until just warm and soft. Transfer to a pot and add some butter and milk/cream and heat until smashable, then smash. Love those skin bits! It's great to add bacon, cheese, chives, garlic, etc.

Many evenings I put 2 potatos in the microwave, scrape them out when they're done, then mash them with milk and butter.

It just seems quicker to me and we like the taste.

Constance said:
I just wondered if anyone has ever tried using leftover baked potatoes to make mashed ones?

I had a meal where the chef created a crushed potato with garlic, cream and green onion that was fantastic. I asked so I could make it at home. She used baked potatoes and herbed them, crushed them, added on roasted garlic and cream and butter.

Was a real nice side dish.

Thanks for the help y'all. This is a perfect method for the two of us. No more instant potatoes...we can have the real thing now, with very little fuss and muss.

The only thing I'd add is, use them the following day.
Maybe it's just the type of potatoes we find down here, but after about 36 hours, something cruddy happens to the flavour. Can't describe it, but it's not pleasant.

Curious if any other 'empty nesters' found potatoes (especially mashed) the hardest food to adjust quantities to two people? After the kids left, it took years to look at two potatoes and realize that would be enough! What a challenge to find all kinds of things to do with leftovers... ;)

Back
Top Bottom