Mini peppers and (really) mini tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anticuchos

Assistant Cook
Are mini green or red peppers (size of small potatoes), mini tomatoes (size of ping pong), and really mini tomatoes (size of paintballs) genetically mofidied? Hybrid? Or natural? What are their proper terms? Are they less nutritious than their larger counterparts?

As far as the tomatoes, it depends on the variety. Some cherry and grape tomatoes are heirloom and some, probably most, have been hybridized.

I doubt you see genetically modified tomatoes on the market these days.

As far as peppers, I am not sure what type you are referring to. The only mini bell peppers I've run across are in my garden -- they just won't grow very big for some reason. Again, some peppers are heirloom and some are hybrid.

We have found that the garden varies from year to year even though we think we treat it about the same with fertilizer, manure, and the like.

For example, last year our hot peppers did not stop coming until the frost. This year, we were lucky to get a few.

Some years one fruit/veggie will do well, the next year the plants may die or we just pull them out to end their, and our, misery.

We buy our plants as little guys at the local markets (including Walmart, etc).

Don't know if the problem is that the source of the plants we get from year to year differs, the weather, or a combination plus other factors (unknown to us).

This was not a spectacular year whereas last year was a great one for many of our plants. But even in good years we always have several disasters.

We are just grateful for what we get, try to figure out if there is something better we can do next season, and forget about it.

This probably does not help a whit, but just want you to know that you are not alone in your frustraton with the contrariness of the garden.

As an old Brooklyn Dodger fan (there are still a few of us left), I am used to trying to accept defeats, and enjoying successes, no matter how limited they may be.

But as we Brooklyn Bums used to say when the Yankees beat us again, year after year, is wait until next year.

Take care and God bless.

Last edited:
I have seen mini peppers in Trader Joes and as far as mini tomatoes go it really depends on the type of tomatoes you are looking for.

Have a pleasant day.

Thanks for all the response everyone. You been very helpful. If anyone has more to say, please do. I always thought these smaller vegetables (well, technically, they are both fruits) were inorganic because of its size. EDIT: Is it okay to eat half-cooked red peppers? Fully cooked red peppers taste bad.

Last edited:
anticuchos said:
Thanks for all the response everyone. You been very helpful. If anyone has more to say, please do. I always thought these smaller vegetables (well, technically, they are both fruits) were inorganic because of its size. EDIT: Is it okay to eat half-cooked red peppers? Fully cooked red peppers taste bad.

I have some tiny "cherry" tomatoes growing in the garden. They are, effectively, "wild" tomatoes, domesticated from the jungle somewhere in Venezuela! They're the size of a nickel, mostly. Divinely sweet.

As for half-cooked red peppers - I eat them raw, half-cooked, semi-cooked, baked, boiled, any way you like. No problem - they're rich in Vitamin C !!

Your thoughts about "inorganic" and size are probably the other way round... tomatoes and peppers were, I'd venture to guess, originally SMALL. Domestication, breeding, fertilizing and irrigation techniques have probably led to their being bigger!

anticuchos said:

All fruits and vegetables are organic, by the way. In the chemical sense. Almost all "food" is (thinking of things like salt, etc, being exceptions)

Any hybrid tomato is genetically modified...nothing to worry about. They're just as nutritious, in come cases even more so. A big benefit of the hybrids is that they are bred to be more disease resistant, earlier, and smoother skinned than the open-pollinated types.

I don't know what the deal was with peppers this year. All mine were just little bitty, and I've heard that from a lot of people, not just those in this area.

has anyone ever had tomatoes the size of peas my brother gave me
some a couple of years ago. they were so good
great for tacos and dips. i have never been able to find them

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom