Moussaka

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I haven't made Moussaka for some time. However, I did follow a recipe and did it exactly as explained. When I was browning the eggplant in olive oil, the eggplant seemed to be burning and I added more oil. When it was done, there was so much oil in the dish. Should I have browned it in the oven rather than frying in frying pan? My son and I like this dish and want to have less oil next time.

Thanks

Try lowering the heat a little. Never add more oil. Eggplant acts like a sponge it sucks up the oil.
I find a grill pan works best. Give the eggplant time to brown on the first side and only turn once to brown the other side.
Some stoves are hotter than others but the pan must be hot just not scorching.

Next Time

Next time, I will try to use the oven. What temp. do you use? I feel olive oil isn't bad for you but as you said 'acts like a sponge'.

Thanks for your time and understanding. Have been cooking for over 40 years and STILL need help.

I haven't made Moussaka for some time. However, I did follow a recipe and did it exactly as explained. When I was browning the eggplant in olive oil, the eggplant seemed to be burning and I added more oil. When it was done, there was so much oil in the dish. Should I have browned it in the oven rather than frying in frying pan? My son and I like this dish and want to have less oil next time.

Thanks

Either way. Heat a few tbls of oil in the skillet first, & slice the ep about 1/4" thick. Or, preheat the oven to about 425, brush the EP slices with oil, & arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned and slightly softened, about 12 minutes, turning once during cooking.

Thanks

I am so thankful that all of you replied to my post. It has been some time since I made moussaka and I plan on making this week. I DO refer to this site for help. You always come through for me. What a gift!

Back
Top Bottom