Mushroom Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
This recipe is from my dear friend John, who is truly a gourmet cook.

John’s Mushroom Pie

1 1/4 lb fresh mushrooms; sliced, sautéed
2 tablespoons Butter
½ teaspoon Salt
½ cup onion; chopped
2 tablespoon flour
3 cups liquid from mushrooms, half and half
1 dash pepper
2 tablespoon Butter
pastry for dbl crust pie

Preheat oven to 425. Drain mushrooms and reserve liquid. Put liquid into 2 cup measuring cup and add enough half & half to fill cup. In large heavy saucepan, melt 2 Tbl butter, stir in flour, and remove from heat. Gradually add half & half mixture, stirring constantly. Stir over med heat until thickened. Sauté onion lightly in 2 Tbl butter and add to sauce along with mushrooms. Line an 8" pie pan with pastry. Add filling, top with pastry, crimp edges and prick top. Bake at 425 degrees for 8 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 35-45 minutes, until brown.

*Note: The pie is great as it is, but I'm a big garlic lover, so I saute garlic along the onions. I also increase the S&P, and add a pinch of thyme.
One might also alter this recipe by tempering an egg into the bechamel sauce, so the filling would set up.

Oh.. I do wish Paul liked mushrooms!

This sounds great. I'd add the garlic too.

Do you think if I merge this thread with the onion pie thread we will get an onion and mushroom pie recipe????? That sounds good too!

Thanks for posting this Constance.

kitchenelf said:
Do you think if I merge this thread with the onion pie thread we will get an onion and mushroom pie recipe????? That sounds good too!

Thanks for posting this Constance.

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it.

I actually thought about posting it on the onion pie thread, Kitchenelf. The pie already has some onions, but I'd like to try increasing the amount, and cutting them in strips instead of chopping.
There are a lot of things one could do with this recipe...add cheese, a few anchovies, ripe olives...
But as I said, it's awfully good as it is.

Connie,
this looks so great. I plan to make it for Cade's birthday party on saturday. It will be a hit with this gang:) Thank you

kadesma

Constance said:
You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it.

I actually thought about posting it on the onion pie thread, Kitchenelf. The pie already has some onions, but I'd like to try increasing the amount, and cutting them in strips instead of chopping.
There are a lot of things one could do with this recipe...add cheese, a few anchovies, ripe olives...
But as I said, it's awfully good as it is.

This deserves its own thread! Yes, I would leave the onions in rings actually, caramelized really, really well. Cheese???? Am I supposed to disagree with that? :LOL: I might even consider making a top crust for a mushroom/onion pie!

Kitchenelf, the recipe actually calls for a top crust.

I agree with you about leaving the onions in rings. What kind of cheese do you think would be good? Swiss? Feta? Parmesan?

Hi Connie, just about any cheese that You like would be great. My only reservation would be feta. While I like it in small quantities say with salad, I don't know how I'd feel about a large amount of it hot! Gruyere, edam, taleggio,parmigiano, romano just a few I might try..I want the mushrooms to shine so the amount of cheese would be to up the taste of the mushrooms but not hide it.

kadesma:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom