Mushroom Potato Puff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chez suz

Senior Cook
Got this recipe from another site !oops!...made it. Its great..thought I would share.
For Potatoes
4 medium potatoes
2/3 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 2/3 teaspoons butter or margarine
1 1/3 whole eggs
1 cup shredded swiss cheese or cheddar cheese or gouda cheese
1/3 cup chicken stock or milk
baking powder1/4 t
10 2/3 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2/3 medium chopped onions
salt and pepper
4-6 1/8 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
4-6 1/8 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley

4 servings Change size or US/metric | 55 minutes 25 mins prep
Change to: servings US Metric
Proceed with caution: References to ingredient amounts, cooking times, and temperatures in directions below have NOT been adjusted (only the amounts in the ingredients list were updated). Need a measurements converter (opens in a new window).
1. For Potatoes: Peel potatoes, cut in halves and boil in salted water until soft, but firm.
2. Drain and dry thoroughly by shaking over heat until moisture disappears.
3. Mash potatoes in electric mixture.
4. Add salt, pepper, butter or margarine, eggs, cheese, baking powder and liquid.
5. Beat until fluffy.
6. (you may need a little extra liquid to get these nice and fluffy, depending upon the type of potatoes that you use).
7. For Mushrooms: Saute onion in butter or margarine, until nicely carmelized.
8. Remove onions from pan.
9. Saute mushrooms until browned and they have released all of their liquid.
10. Mix with onions, salt, pepper and chopped parsley.
11. Note: I often make up my mushroom filling a day ahead of time and refrigerate. Soften slightly before filling.
12. Butter a pie plate or a small pyrex baking dish and Line bottom and sides of plate with about 1" mashed potato mixture.
13. Fill centre with mushroom mixture, cover with remaining potato mixture. Top with little bits of butter and a sprinkling of paprika.
14. Bake at 400F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and puffed.
15. Note: This dish can be prepared in the morning, covered with plastic wrap and left at room temperature until baking time.

Since I cannot follow a recipe exactly...
My major change was to use ass't mushrooms, no parsley.. I used freshly grated parmasean cheese....and since I made it for 2 cut it down quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom