"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #111
Certified Cake Maniac

Wow, I really can't believe how this little "throw together" has become a DC favourite! Once I can look at mushrooms once again (and I never thought I would EVER say that ), I am definitely going to try many of your ideas. They all sound incredible!

Hmm, I wonder what sprinkling porcini powder on would taste....

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #112
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Wow, I really can't believe how this little "throw together" has become a DC favourite! Once I can look at mushrooms once again (and I never thought I would EVER say that ), I am definitely going to try many of your ideas. They all sound incredible!

Hmm, I wonder what sprinkling porcini powder on would taste....
I stopped myself from licking the shaker top on the porcini powder. It smells divine. I can get a jar of mixed, dried wild mushrooms at Costco...rehydrated, I should be able to make this when ever I want and not have to wait for a mixture of fresh in the store.

Seems to me there are an unusual number of mushroom lovers haunting these pages.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

I noticed my normal grocery store had dried wild mushrooms, too. Kind of pricey, but I want to get some just to have on hand when the shroom mood hits me.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #114
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I noticed my normal grocery store had dried wild mushrooms, too. Kind of pricey, but I want to get some just to have on hand when the shroom mood hits me.
Yup, but not so bad in use. I googled and the consensus seems to be that 3 oz. of dried mushrooms = 1 lb. of fresh ones.

I buy mine at Costco - $14 or $15 for a pound (in greater Montreal). Works out to the equivalent of 5 1/3 lbs fresh. That's better than the "not on special" price for mushrooms here.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

Very good point, taxlady. I don't by many dehydrated foods and never gave a thought to the hydrated weight. Thanks. I like being able to justify my purchases, lol.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

How about hydrating mushrooms in a good beer, like Guinness?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #117
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
How about hydrating mushrooms in a good beer, like Guinness?
That might work. I don't care for beer (or Stout), but someone might like it!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #118
Executive Chef

i wasn't here when this thread ran. can we talk some more about mushrooms? there are so many things to love about them....today, i made a dish combining crimini, shiitake and oyster mushrooms - sauted them together with onions, made a pan gravy, added a bit of wine and spooned the whole thing over some wonderbread toast: breakfast for two! happy july 4th everybody!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #119
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i wasn't here when this thread ran. can we talk some more about mushrooms? there are so many things to love about them....today, i made a dish combining crimini, shiitake and oyster mushrooms - sauted them together with onions, made a pan gravy, added a bit of wine and spooned the whole thing over some wonderbread toast: breakfast for two! happy july 4th everybody!
Yum, Mushrooms. We are waiting to gather more members for the Mushroomcult errr, club. Yours sound really good, too...needs a little garlic to keep the vampires mosquitoes away.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #120
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
You really should try this recipe, Vitauta. It turned out to be a huge favorite for many members.

By all means, vary the types of mushrooms for different dining experiences.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe

Mushrooms Gratin This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger! :wink: I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish. [B]Mushrooms Gratin[/B] (per person) 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both) 1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste Salt and Pepper to taste 1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese 2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs 1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out. 5 stars 1 reviews