"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #141
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Mushrooms Gratin

No good grocery stores around here, unless you count Walmart!

I may end up trying the 1lb from Amazon, it's like $35 with free shipping, same AB grade. Hold the worms please. And they would definitely be stored in the freezer!

Old 02-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #142
Master Chef

You'll be very glad to have them Dawg. I use them often in many many dishes, and I wouldn't even bother with spaghetti sauce without a healthy dose of porchini. What I've seen of the itty bitty packages in the grocery stores here is highly overpriced and poor quality.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #143
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

I may end up trying the 1lb from Amazon, it's like $35 with free shipping, same AB grade. Hold the worms please. And they would definitely be stored in the freezer!
I get mine from a Polish specialty market. A 1.6 ounce bottle of dried wild Porcini lasts me about a year and costs $7.50. I just keep them on the shelf and crush them under a measuring cup or chop them with a chefs knife.

Try this soup from CarolPA.

Slovak Sour Dried Mushroom Soup
Old 02-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #144
Assistant Cook

Quote:

I've seen them at Giant and Shoprite around here. I bought mine from Redners, a local place. Though you would probably pay less and get a better quality online.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #145
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Where do you all get your dried porcinis? I looked into FungusAmungus, shipping was almost as much as the mushrooms. Amazon had complaints about worms in theirs.
Oregon Mushrooms LLC My tried and true go to for fungus acquisition.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:48 AM   #146
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oregon Mushrooms LLC My tried and true go to for fungus acquisition.
That's where we buy from when we get fresh porcini (domestic but still pretty decent compared to Italian and a lot cheaper), morels, truffles, etc. We've always been real happy with them and their customer service is great. Had a glitch once in delivery (due to a FedEx issue) and they were really diligent in following up.

Fresh porcini are really bad about having worms. Most reputable purveyors will cut them in half (or more if really big) to make sure they aren't worm riddled. I don't know if the worms somehow survive the drying process or what.

Fresh porcini can be frozen as well and, as long as you use them chopped up in a recipe don't have much loss of quality. Large slices though not so much, they get spongy and lose their texture, which is much, much denser and firmer than the mushrooms widely available like button, crimini/portabello, etc.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #147
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks guys, looks like a neat site!
Old 02-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #148
Master Chef

Dawg....I had to giggle at FungusAmungus

Princess, I've been browsing through that Oregon site you linked...and dreaming of all the possibilities....thanks for sharing it. With all this talk about dried porcinis, I'm going to have to get some!
Old 02-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #149
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We have had hits and misses with our dried Porchini mushrooms. The first batch we brought back from Italy and ended up having to throw them out because of worms. The second batch we ordered from Amazon and they developed mold. Amazon gave us our money back however, and then we bought these, and I'm very pleased with them.

Amazon.com : Porcini Mushrooms - Grade Extra AB 8 oz. : Porchini Mushrooms : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Whatever you buy, keep them in the freezer.
How the heck did you get the mushrooms past customs?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #150
Assistant Cook

Forgot to post that I made this last night. I used parm and some mix shredded cheese I had leftover. It was... awesome. So good, I need to get some more mushrooms. Today I mixed it with some chopped up chicken, fresh sauteed brussel sprouts with bacon and couscous. It was all leftovers from the last few nights. That was really good too. I love mixing up my leftovers.

Tags
recipe

Mushrooms Gratin This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger! :wink: I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish. [B]Mushrooms Gratin[/B] (per person) 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both) 1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste Salt and Pepper to taste 1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese 2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs 1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out. 5 stars 1 reviews