"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #151
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger!

I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish.

Mushrooms Gratin
(per person)
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both)
1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese
2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs
1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese

Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out.

I thought I would bump this up to 2015. Well worth repeating the post. Even though it is easy enough to find it on page one, this saves the hunting time.

My store every day has a special place for deli ends. And that includes cheeses of all sorts. They are half the price per pound of getting it cut at the deli counter. Even broken chunks of Parm and Pecarino Romano. There is always plenty of Swiss. Even imported. I always have plenty of cheese on hand. Sometimes too much.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #152
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oregon Mushrooms LLC My tried and true go to for fungus acquisition.
My sister had an old stone wall at the back of her property. It was built in the late 1600's. When it started to crumble, she was told by the Historic Society of Boston that she had to repair it, and still use the same stones. She could replace any of the stones with new ones, but they all had to go on top rows. Once the wall was rebuilt, she went out and found Hens and Chicks growing all over the old stones and they stopped right at the line of the new ones. She had one heck of a harvest. She was able to harvest them for three years before she died. I have often wondered in the young couple that bought the home ever realized what a gem they had in that back wall.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #153
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
How the heck did you get the mushrooms past customs?
Beats me Addie. The dried Porchini's were packed in our checked luggage and there were no questions about them at customs. Fresh fruit and veggies yes, but not dried mushrooms.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:29 AM   #154
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Beats me Addie. The dried Porchini's were packed in our checked luggage and there were no questions about them at customs. Fresh fruit and veggies yes, but not dried mushrooms.
My daughter went to Italy to visit some of her family. On her trip back there were a couple of women that had big rolls of cheeses, cold cuts and other goodies. You know they got stopped at customs. She said the whole plane smelled like she had never left Italy.

I thought all food products were banned. I guessed wrong.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:40 AM   #155
Master Chef

That just reminded me of the "I Love Lucy" episode where she went overseas and tried to fly home with her big hunk of cheese disguised as a baby.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:49 AM   #156
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

The porcini-sniffing beagle must have had a day off!
Old 02-05-2015, 01:34 AM   #157
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
The porcini-sniffing beagle must have had a day off!
For porcini sniffing they use Italian Greyhounds.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:46 AM   #158
Head Chef

You can bring back cheese, wine, oil, some dried meat products. I've done it many times in the past. There are limits on amounts, at least that you can bring in without paying customs fees. Never tried to bring back dried porcini though. As a treat once, we even ordered some French raw milk cheeses and some bread from the affiliated bakery and they were overnighted and delivered to our door.

Last trip to Italy, I had had an apple in my tote bag the day before we left and had eaten it as a snack during the day. When we were clearing customs, the little beagle alerted on my bag. There was no food or contraband in it of course and we couldn't figure out what alerted the beagle. Then I remembered about the apple and the customs officer said the smell was still lingering to the beagle.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #159
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought the fresh mushrooms yesterday, but didn't get around (see "what are you doing, Post 23873") to getting the Panko breadcrumbs. I will have to settle for regular seasoned Italian breadcrumbs. I have plenty of cheese in the freezer. It is definitely on the menu for today.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #160
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My kids tell me they went by because they were dried and not fresh. Sounds logical to me. I'll buy it.

Tags
recipe

Mushrooms Gratin This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger! :wink: I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish. [B]Mushrooms Gratin[/B] (per person) 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both) 1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste Salt and Pepper to taste 1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese 2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs 1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out. 5 stars 1 reviews