Mushrooms Gratin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger! ;)

I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish.

Mushrooms Gratin
(per person)
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both)
1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese
2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs
1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese

Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out.

I just wanted to add that I've done this wonderful recipe dozens of times over the years but I mixed it up somewhat last night by adding some chopped fresh spinach leaves and cooked bacon to the layers, then drizzling a little balsamic vinegar on top before adding the buttered Panko bread crumbs.
I served the individual casseroles as a main course.

Sounds like really nice additions to an already great dish, Kay! Yum. I so need to make this, I love mushrooms. :yum:

Do you have cheese with large natural holes in it? That is Swiss cheese. I always have it in the house. It has a smoky, nutty flavor. And it melts just great. The kind of cheese you want for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Unless the store has another name for it, for us any cheese with holes is labeled Swiss Cheese. :angel:
Ah, it sounds like Emmenthal. Thanks, Addie

This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger! ;)

I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish.

Mushrooms Gratin
(per person)
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both)
1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese
2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs
1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese

Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out.

I made this tonight and it was so good we all wished I'd made twice as much. I used mozzarella cheese because that's what I had, but I'll be making this again and trying swiss cheese next time This is definitely a keeper! :yum:

I made this tonight and it was so good we all wished I'd made twice as much. I used mozzarella cheese because that's what I had, but I'll be making this again and trying swiss cheese next time This is definitely a keeper! :yum:
Waving from near Montreal. Welcome to DC. Yes, this is definitely a yummy recipe.

I just wanted to add that I've done this wonderful recipe dozens of times over the years but I mixed it up somewhat last night by adding some chopped fresh spinach leaves and cooked bacon to the layers, then drizzling a little balsamic vinegar on top before adding the buttered Panko bread crumbs.
I served the individual casseroles as a main course.
This sounds like a perfect side for our teeny tiny TGD dinner! I’m not gonna tell you, though, what I’m adding, Kayelle! Thanks for the recipe!

I've just read this entire post from start to finish, talk about falling in a rabbit hole! LOL... love it and can't wait to try!

Think some pictures would be appropriate of the different ways this dish has been done, hmm?

Back
Top Bottom