Mushrooms Gratin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just tried them. Yum. Even my DH, who dislikes mushrooms, liked it. I used cheddar ($12.95/kg) instead of Swiss ($29/kg).

I made it again tonight, got greedy and ate it all. :pig::pig::pig:

I never did cook dinner (zucchini, onions, stewed tomatoes, corn and chicken). I did get the zucchini and onions cut up and ready to go tomorrow.

I was pretty pooped after rearranging my living room, plus lazy.:LOL:

I wanted to join the fan club of this recipe. I've already made it a few times and we love it. It's so easy to put together ... I've even gotten it ready in the morning, and baked it off before dinner. This is going to be one of our sides for Thanksgiving.

Flied Rice, of course!!! Shrek gets jealous of frogs...he knows the kinda guy I like...:LOL:

May I back up a bit? Speaking of frogs and their legs, have you seen the animated "Triplets of Belleville"? Frogs are on the menu, with a dandy method to catch your own.

I wanted to join the fan club of this recipe. I've already made it a few times and we love it. It's so easy to put together ... I've even gotten it ready in the morning, and baked it off before dinner. This is going to be one of our sides for Thanksgiving.
Yesssss! It was a big hit here. It will definitely be a new favorite with our steak dinners...

Haven't had a chance to try it yet myself, but certainly plan to. I passed it along to a relative who is a big-time cheese lover. Upon reading it, she decided to substitute it as her contribution to her family get-together on T'giving; she had been signed up for green bean casserole -- no cheese. From all the comments, it sounds as though she can't lose! :)

Ah, a peace-loving individual. Well, the frog-catching involved explosives, so you probably wouldn't go there anyway. :)

Not necessarily, I object to eating frogs. Now show me some nice pig or cow and I get bloodthirsty!:LOL:

(In case no one warned you, I am the resident Vampire, a nightshift nurse who does blood draws:angel:)

No, I hadn't heard. So, are you to blame for all this tripping-over-them-they're-everywhere Vampire stuff? Even so, it's better than the zombie craze. I think. :)

No, I hadn't heard. So, are you to blame for all this tripping-over-them-they're-everywhere Vampire stuff? Even so, it's better than the zombie craze. I think. :)

No, my vampire craze ended when Angel went off the air!

Twilight...pfft!

Mushrooms Gratin Ingredient Extension

If served as a side this could easily serve 10-15 people.

5 servings
7 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
5 - 10 cloves minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 3/4 cup shredded cheese - swiss
10 Tablespoons Bread crumbs
5 Tablespoons Parmesan

This should fill a 1 1/2 quart casserole!

Prep directions in first post in thread.

Thanks, Princess. I appreciate that. I am one of those cooks who "just knows" how much to use and it highly aggravates anyone who wants a recipe from me. :LOL::LOL:

One of my ex wives said I treated her like a Mushroom. I hope you dont mind LP I put my own twist on your fantastic melange and claimed it as my own.
The twist, I cooked it as per your instruction then layered it between crepes, It went a bit unstable after reheating, I named MY dish the Leaning Tower of Porcini.

This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger! ;)

I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish.

Mushrooms Gratin
(per person)
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both)
1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese
2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs
1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese

Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out.

I made this for the first time for Thanksgiving and it came out great. I have since made it with some variations/additions. Bacon is a natural. Spinach was good as was bay scallops.

Thanks!

I was just thinking this morning that we hadn't seen any posts or raves on Mushrooms Gratin for a while and BEHOLD!

Back
Top Bottom