"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #41
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thank you. I know about panko - I will start using it when they make it whole wheat ;)
Whole wheat is also a flour so it's only insignificantly healthier than white is what I'm reading and hearing these days...it's whole grain we need. In fact, I just heard Dr. Andrew Weils say that on Dr. Oz's show yesterday. He is the author of the Anti-inflammatory Diet also known as the Wellness diet. He also said the same goes for wheat pasta...it's better to get a good quality white pasta and just not put too much buttery sauce on it....although fats are not so worrisome as flour and sugar.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

TaxLady: I just used seasoned dry bread crumbs and sprayed them with buttery flavored cooking spray. It worked great.

Another use for the buttery flavored cooking spray is grilled sandwiches. Much less greasy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #43
Flour Child

Check out the ingredients on your aerosol buttery spray can. If you see petroleum toss it. I recently bought a can of spray olive oil from Trader Joe's and was shocked when I read that petroleum was an ingredient. I trashed the whole full can. I should mention it to them because that's not what I would expect from them.

It's better to buy an empty mist pump spray container and fill it yourself.

Taxlady...i just realized that I posted a mixed message above in post#41. I put flour down only minutes after changing my whole avatar thing to promoting flour power...lol...consistency was never my strong point.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Whole wheat is also a flour so it's only insignificantly healthier than white is what I'm reading and hearing these days...it's whole grain we need. In fact, I just heard Dr. Andrew Weils say that on Dr. Oz's show yesterday. He is the author of the Anti-inflammatory Diet also known as the Wellness diet. He also said the same goes for wheat pasta...it's better to get a good quality white pasta and just not put too much buttery sauce on it....although fats are not so worrisome as flour and sugar.
Yeah, yeah, I know whole wheat doesn't necessarily have any germ. I'm just too lazy to always write out "whole grain wheat flour". Technically, "whole grain wheat flour" is a subset of whole wheat.

I don't agree with everything Dr. Oz, or most nutritionists for that matter, have to say about healthy eating.

White or whole grain pasta and what kind of sauces you add are two separate things. Why would I want white pasta?

At my house we don't buy white flour or white bread. We actually prefer the flavour and texture of whole grain. I doubt you can find a better quality white pasta than the wonderful organic, whole grain, imported from Italy, pasta that we buy when we don't make our own. (Okay, there is another more expensive Italian, organic, whole grain pasta that's even better, but quite a bit more expensive.)
Old 11-06-2010, 02:01 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Check out the ingredients on your aerosol buttery spray can. If you see petroleum toss it. I recently bought a can of spray olive oil from Trader Joe's and was shocked when I read that petroleum was an ingredient. I trashed the whole full can. I should mention it to them because that's not what I would expect from them.

I always check ingredients, even at the health food store. No "buttery" spray at my house.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:38 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote MollyAnne: "Check out the ingredients on your aerosol buttery spray can. If you see petroleum toss it. I recently bought a can of spray olive oil from Trader Joe's and was shocked when I read that petroleum was an ingredient. I trashed the whole full can. I should mention it to them because that's not what I would expect from them."

Quote:
I always check ingredients, even at the health food store. No "buttery" spray at my house.
I'm happy to say that my buttery spray (Great Value from WalMart) does NOT have petroleum in it.

I've been on the lookout for pump sprayers and will be buying a few when I come across them.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I looked for a food grade pump sprayer. I don't want nasty chemicals leaching into something that goes on my food. I could only find some that cost nearly $20

For most of the places I might use a spray, I use a silicone pastry brush.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #48
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I looked for a food grade pump sprayer. I don't want nasty chemicals leaching into something that goes on my food. I could only find some that cost nearly $20

For most of the places I might use a spray, I use a silicone pastry brush.
I got a couple of small spray bottles for water, not perfect but they work.

One for EVOO the other for canola.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #49
Flour Child

Correction:

I messed up BIGtime and I apologize.
I said the ingredients in the Trader Joe's Olive Oil Spray
listed PETROLEUM...on no no....it says PROPELLANT
...very different indeed. Apparently propellant is
harmless and necessary for making the spray go.

And here I threw the whole can out...
My mistakes always come at a price it seems
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #50
Master Chef

When did you take that picture of us, MA??

What a shame you threw it out...... at the time, I thought it was surprising that TJ's would sell that.
I don't use a spray at all..just the old fashioned way with a few drops of oil on a paper towel. They may have improved the sprays now days, but they always left a gummy sticky mess on my pans, besides I don't like oil flying through the air.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe

Mushrooms Gratin This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger! :wink: I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish. [B]Mushrooms Gratin[/B] (per person) 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both) 1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste Salt and Pepper to taste 1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese 2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs 1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out. 5 stars 1 reviews