Mushrooms Gratin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can bring back cheese, wine, oil, some dried meat products. I've done it many times in the past. There are limits on amounts, at least that you can bring in without paying customs fees. Never tried to bring back dried porcini though. As a treat once, we even ordered some French raw milk cheeses and some bread from the affiliated bakery and they were overnighted and delivered to our door.

Last trip to Italy, I had had an apple in my tote bag the day before we left and had eaten it as a snack during the day. When we were clearing customs, the little beagle alerted on my bag. There was no food or contraband in it of course and we couldn't figure out what alerted the beagle. Then I remembered about the apple and the customs officer said the smell was still lingering to the beagle.

It just seems like they change the rules every day. My DIL said the only thing the old Italian women didn't bring on were their goats. That one had me on the floor laughing so hard. They were carrying big round cheeses and meats, like what you see hanging in the Italian shops. I am not much of a traveler. I like my home to much I guess. :angel:

Recently I started using King mushrooms. IMO they have the very best mushroom flavor. They can be cut into scallop shaped rounds and gently sauteed in clarified butter until the ends are just turning light golden brown. Then add really well patted dry real scallops and gently saute them with the mushrooms. The mushrooms take on the scallop flavor and it's actually hard to tell the two foods apart. They look and taste the same.
Making some tonight to serve over al dente spaghetti/dribble of best OO/soft roasted whole garlic cloves and grated PR cheese topped with a few red pepper flakes/squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a big glass of cool not chilled Pinot Gris.

Recently I started using King mushrooms. IMO they have the very best mushroom flavor. They can be cut into scallop shaped rounds and gently sauteed in clarified butter until the ends are just turning light golden brown. Then add really well patted dry real scallops and gently saute them with the mushrooms. The mushrooms take on the scallop flavor and it's actually hard to tell the two foods apart. They look and taste the same.
Making some tonight to serve over al dente spaghetti/dribble of best OO/soft roasted whole garlic cloves and grated PR cheese topped with a few red pepper flakes/squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a big glass of cool not chilled Pinot Gris.

Sorry, but that sounds like a contradiction? You're saying on one hand they have the best flavor, but on the other hand you say they are absorbing the flavor of the scallops. To me if they are taking on the flavor of the scallops and it is hard to tell them apart taste wise, that means they are pretty much flavorless by themselves, like tofu. When I used them in a dish, I found them to be tasteless by themselves, but took on the flavors of the other mushrooms in the dish.

How does one pick good quality dried mushrooms in a grocery store?
I mean, is there a way to tell if they are fresh, clean, good?
I see them all the time, but they look like they have been sitting on the shelf for years.

The fresh Porchini's look pretty bad too. How should they look. I want to expend my horizons.

I see them all the time, but they look like they have been sitting on the shelf for years.

The fresh Porchini's look pretty bad too. How should they look. I want to expend my horizons.

I just ordered some imported dried porcinis from Oregon Mushroom, I'll post a pic when I get them. I've used dried shitakes from the Asian grocery store, they have a good turnover. I also dehydrate my own button mushrooms and Hen of the Woods.

I think dehydrated mushrooms pretty much last forever.

My kids tell me they went by because they were dried and not fresh. Sounds logical to me. I'll buy it. :angel:

Glad to hear from experts I'm innocent of breaking food police laws. :rolleyes:

I just ordered some imported dried porcinis from Oregon Mushroom, I'll post a pic when I get them. I've used dried shitakes from the Asian grocery store, they have a good turnover. I also dehydrate my own button mushrooms and Hen of the Woods.

That's almost true Dawg, if they've been dried properly. I don't remember the brand I ordered from Amazon that were not. If I had kept them in the freezer I'm sure they would have been alright but they developed mold because of some moisture. As I mentioned before, Amazon gave us our money back though.

RB, I only bought them once in the grocery store. They were mostly stems and full of grit. Never again.

They just came! ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1423249988.011696.jpg

8 oz is a lot!

Kay, the instructions for this bag say to keep them in a cold place, or in the freezer.

I know! I almost ordered the 1 lb bag, I'd have to build a new addition on the house! They smell great, Beagle even tried to get away with the bubble wrap from the package. Some are going into the coffee grinder right now for powder.

I appreciate the recommendation, PF and Medtran, a very nice site!

Kay, I ordered 8 oz Dried European Porcini from Oregon Mushrooms LLC, the link PF posted above. It was $24, with $7.45 shipping, so $31.45 total.

Last edited:
I know! I almost ordered the 1 lb bag, I'd have to build a new addition on the house! They smell great, Beagle even tried to get away with the bubble wrap from the package. Some are going into the coffee grinder right now for powder.

Kay, I ordered 8 oz Dried European Porcini from Oregon Mushrooms LLC, the link PF posted above. It was $24, with $7.45 shipping, so $31.45 total.

Wait!! I've noticed that taking my package in and out of the freezer, that some powder has formed on the bottom. You don't want to grind up good pieces unless you have to!

Wait!! I've noticed that taking my package in and out of the freezer, that some powder has formed on the bottom. You don't want to grind up good pieces unless you have to!

:LOL: I did buy them to make powder, I'll use the smaller pieces.

They probably look like that because they're dried and they look a lot like dirt anyway :LOL: I've bought both porcinis and shiitakes at the regular grocery store and have never had a problem. They last for years, so "freshness" isn't an issue.

In my experience, they come in cellophane packages so you can see the stems and caps. I've never thought about it much.

Last edited:
Beagle even tried to get away with the bubble wrap from the package.

You're welcome. They do smell good. Our doggies' noses used to go up in the air but we've only the 1 left now and nothing of hers works too well anymore as she's almost 15-1/2.

I guess I've been really lucky with the dried porcini I've bought over the years because I've never had any mold or worms, even when I've had them for months and months, and I have kept them in the pantry. We bought a good size bag within the last 2-3 months but I can't remember where we got it, whether it was Costco or Restaurant Depot (the wholesale place we go to) or wherever else it was. I remember thinking it was a pretty good price though and there was a good mix of whole mushroom slices, caps, stems, etc.

You are welcome. They are the best site for ordering online, ever. I've ordered from them for a few years now, since whenever our Mushroom Challenge was (Feb 2011).

This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger! ;)

I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish.

Mushrooms Gratin
(per person)
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both)
1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese
2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs
1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese

Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out.
I see quite a few references to Swiss cheese on here and in American cookery articles. What is it - Gruyere, Emmenthal (the Swiss cheeses we mots often see here) or something else?

I see quite a few references to Swiss cheese on here and in American cookery articles. What is it - Gruyere, Emmenthal (the Swiss cheeses we mots often see here) or something else?

Do you have cheese with large natural holes in it? That is Swiss cheese. I always have it in the house. It has a smoky, nutty flavor. And it melts just great. The kind of cheese you want for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Unless the store has another name for it, for us any cheese with holes is labeled Swiss Cheese. :angel:

That would be my choice for a Swiss cheese!:yum:

Back
Top Bottom