Mushrooms Gratin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually I had my recipes mixed up. It's hard to think clearly when in so much pain. The pain has eased off almost completely, WHEW!

I have the Swiss cheese too, so I'll just substitute the Asiago for the Parm as an accent.

Are Baby Bellas the same as Crimini? Seems I heard that on the FoodNetwork. No matter, Baby Bellas are good. I almost splurged on the sliced Portabellas because they are more robust, but would have lost another 2 oz. (6 oz. instead of 8 oz. prepackaged).

This is heaven!

When I was making this, I had to microwave the frozen shredded pork from the ham to get it out of my casserole dish. The smell of that meat made me think it would be a good go with for the gratin. I'm sure of it now, maybe just heat up some with that broth and have it along side.

Those of you who haven't tried this recipe, please do, you won't be sorry. It's really, really good! (Drool, slurp, munch).

I finally found a way to get those bread crumbs crisp. I sprayed it good with my buttery spray. It looks as gorgeous as it tastes.

Another hint for bread crumbs: Save a larger size grated cheese container and put bread crumbs in it. This gives you a shaker top for more even sprinkling of the bread crumbs.

By the way, I saved the mushroom stems and gave them a rough chop and threw them in the freezer. I plan to try them in my next meat loaf.

Thanks, Laurie!

Last edited:
Wow, you are most welcome, Zhizara! That is some testimony! I am really glad you enjoy it. I am always shy to post some of my own recipes, but if they are liked then I will post more.

Wow, you are most welcome, Zhizara! That is some testimony! I am really glad you enjoy it. I am always shy to post some of my own recipes, but if they are liked then I will post more.

I told you is was great!!! I'm fixing it again on Saturday! Maybe enough to take it to work each day next week...I don't think I will ever get tired of it!

If you have more recipes rattling around, you need to show your hand! More please!:pig:

What I liked about the recipe was it's simplicity. It also inspires creativity in that I can hardly wait to make it with Portabellas, and am wondering how it will taste with Gruyere, maybe for a decadent splurge.

Also, I'm getting tired of some of my same old, same old recipes and am looking to try different things.

In this case, it sounded so good to begin with, and then when everybody came back raving about it, I just had to try it and I'm so glad I did.

Keep up the good work! :) :) :)

I tried this recipe again yesterday using plain old button mushrooms and swiss with a sprinkle of Kraft 3 cheese pre-grated cheese and it was just as good as with the Baby Bellas.

I made this second batch because the pack of mushrooms I'd bought looked like I'd better use them pretty quick, but I did want to try it again as I had gotten a little heavy handed with the Asiago on the first batch. This batch was just right. Real mushroomy. My casserole dish was busy with the stuffing, so I just used the bottom of a small grilling pan and piled 1/2 the mushrooms on the bottom, added the cheeses and then the other half of the mushrooms, topped by the cheese again and seasoned breadcrumbs then sprayed the top with buttery spray.

I only cooked it 20 minutes this time and it came out fine. Around the pile was juices from the mushroom that I scooped back into the pile. Man was it good. Plus I got more mushroom stems to use in a meatloaf.

Last edited:
I forgot to pick up mushrooms when I got off work!!! Back to the store in the morning...at least they have a coffee bar...:)

OK, now I know what everyone is talking about with this great recipe.
I did it as written yesterday for lunch and it was just wonderful.

Today, I was short on mushrooms, so I "morphed" it for a dinner side with our smoked tri tip. I love my little individual casseroles, and I added a layer of well squeezed cooked spinach (squeezed so well in my potato ricer thingy) with a few grates of nutmeg, and a touch of salt and lemon juice, Topped it with a thick layer of well buttered Panko bread crumbs mixed with Parmesan and fresh chives. WOW

Summertime - Sesame Noodles

Wintertime - Mushrooms Gratin

I bought more mushrooms again today. I'm serious, I can eat these every day!

Wow, I am so happy everyone is enjoying this and I love all your variations. I am going to try some of them soon!

Wow, I am so happy everyone is enjoying this and I love all your variations. I am going to try some of them soon!

Well, we really like it, so please post some more. What other easy, yummy goodies do you have up your sleeve?

I love mushrooms and swiss cheese. Can't wait to try this. I'll only be making a single serving since DH can't stand mushrooms. He says it's like eating plastic.

OK, now I know what everyone is talking about with this great recipe.
I did it as written yesterday for lunch and it was just wonderful.

Today, I was short on mushrooms, so I "morphed" it for a dinner side with our smoked tri tip. I love my little individual casseroles, and I added a layer of well squeezed cooked spinach (squeezed so well in my potato ricer thingy) with a few grates of nutmeg, and a touch of salt and lemon juice, Topped it with a thick layer of well buttered Panko bread crumbs mixed with Parmesan and fresh chives. WOW

Summertime - Sesame Noodles

Wintertime - Mushrooms Gratin

I bought more mushrooms again today. I'm serious, I can eat these every day!
We're gonna need 2 support groups!! :angel:

Last edited:
I feel silly asking this. How do you butter bread crumbs? Are they dry crumbs or soft crumbs?

TL, I put about 2 Tbs. of butter in a small bowl and nuke it about 20 seconds till melted, then add less than a cup of Panko bread crumbs in the bowl and toss with a fork till well blended. I don't use anything but Panko bread crumbs for a topping (they are dry and airy)........it toasts up just beautifully every time. What a difference, from ordinary bread crumbs. They are Japanese in origin and used to be a bit hard to find, however now days they are right on the shelf with other bread crumbs in supermarkets.

Last edited:
TL, I put about 2 Tbs. of butter in a small bowl and nuke it about 20 seconds till melted, then add less than a cup of Panko bread crumbs in the bowl and toss with a fork till well blended. I don't use anything but Panko bread crumbs for a topping (they are dry and airy)........it toasts up just beautifully every time. What a difference, from ordinary bread crumbs. They are Japanese in origin and used to be a bit hard to find, however now days they are right on the shelf with other bread crumbs in supermarkets.

Thank you. I know about panko - I will start using it when they make it whole wheat ;) So, dry bread crumbs would be the ones to use I guess.

Back
Top Bottom