Mustard greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikkico99

Assistant Cook
so I was thinking about experimenting tonight....I have never used mustard greens but I was thinking about using them in Lasanga (like instead of spinach) what do you all think?

Mmm...kind of like broccoli in lasagna. I think mustard greens would go well with it since it's from the cabbage family. Any veggie would go well with lasagna. Let us know how it turned out.

Hmmm. While they may very well work, if I were you I'd cook some up & taste them first before adding them to a large dish like lasagna. Mustard greens, unlike broccoli, can be quite spicy, strong, & mustardy. If you've never had them before, again, you may want to saute some up first for a taste before commiting them to something like lasagna.

Add to that the fact that I've never heard of any lasagna recipes using mustard greens leaves me to believe there may be a good reason - lol!!

Thats why it's an experiment lol. So far it seems like it will work. I cooked down the mustard greens slightly and tasted them. I really like the taste and think they will go well. I am going to use eggplant as the noodles. So after it's all finished and I have tasted I will let you guys know how it turnes out. :)

Omg...this recipe turned out so good. I add no salt and didn't need to. Here is the recipe I used and its healthy too.

8 servings

A low calorie way to have lasagna. And it's packed with nutrients.

Ingredients 1large eggplant1cup summer squash1green bell pepper1/2cup diced red bell pepper14 1/2oz tomato sauce3links turkey sausage1 1/2cups nonfat cottage cheese1cup fat free mozzarella cheese1cup sliced mushroom2cups mustard greens1tsp. olive oil1/4tsp black pepper1tsp oregano, dried1tsp thyme, dried1tsp basil, dried1cup tomato1/4cup egg whites1yellow onion1tablespoon garlicDirections
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Steam and clean mustard greens
  3. Steam until wilted like spinach, and set aside.
  4. Heat on medium a large saute pan and add olive oil.
  5. Take sausage out of casing and add to hot pan. Brown and cook all the way through.
  6. While sausage is cooking peel and slice eggplant long ways, very thin and place on sheet pan. Sprinkle with sea salt(this will be taken off later).
  7. Add diced onion, garlic, zuchinni, mushrooms,cherry tomatoes and both peppers to sausage. Saute until tender then add tomato sauce and spices. Let simmer 10 minutes.
  8. In a small bowl mix together cottage cheese and egg whites.
  9. After sauce is finished get your large casserole dish and spray with non stick spray. Take some paper towel and squeeze the liquid from the eggplant and wipe off salt. Layer half in the bottom of the casserole dish.
  10. Add half of the sauce on top of the eggplant. On top of the sauce put half of the cottage cheese mixture. Then half of the mustard greens, then half of the mozzarella. Repeat one more time.
  11. Cover with tin foil and bake until the middle reaches 160 degrees. (40-50 minutes) Then take off foil and brown for 5 minutes.
  12. Eat and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom