Name this vegetable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you sure you weren't in the sporting goods department?
images

:ROFLMAO: Good one

It looked like a cross between thai pea eggplant and cheyote.
None of the names are ringing a bell though.

Got it!

From Weird Vegetables You've Probably Never Heard Of (PHOTOS)

"Kohlrabi
A relative of wild cabbage, this unique-looking vegetable has been hailed as one of the 150 healthiest foods on Earth. It is most commonly consumed in India, and is a staple in the Kashmiri diet. Pretty much everything on this plant is edible. Fry up the root for some kohlrabi fries, toss the leaves in a salad, or chomp on the crisp, juicy stems for a low-calorie snack."

My saying it came in clusters wasn't any help. It looked like clusters in the veggetable bin though. Especially with those funky stems all tangled up. I don't recall seeing leaves. They may have been trimmed.

Anyway, for something different, I was thinking of picking up a vegetable I've never had every week (or so) and giving it a go. I got the idea after talking with Katy and her preparing celeriac last week. She made it sound like something I'd like to try. And I saw celeriac (celery root) in Giant Eagle yesterday, too.
There are lots of veggies I've never eaten or even seen until the new GE got this large produce section... hmmm... Pacanis' Personal Vegetable Challenge... :ermm: :rolleyes:
Not :LOL:

Thanks for all the guesses everyone.

Attachments

• kohlrabi.jpg
    kohlrabi.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 88
  • kohlrabi2.jpg
    kohlrabi2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 219
Kohlrabi? I'd never thought of that...
I love it, here in G it's very common winter vegetable...
but where is the p...? ;o)

I prefer it raw, but you have to take care, depending in the sort it may have "woody" parts... you feel it, if you cut it.. just cut them out and eat the rest.
You can also prepare them with a cream sauce..

Last edited:
P... K... it's all good :-p

How do you pick a nice one, Cara?
What do you look for? firm, soft?

not to big... sweet smell... they must be firm, can't be otherwise.. not to much leaves/stems on it, 'cause this is where it gets "woody".. that's a direct german-english-translation, don't know if there is a proper english word...

I like it raw too. The best comparison I can give as far as taste and texture goes would be a broccoli stem. if you peel a broccoli stem and eat the inner part, to me , it tastes and feels similar to a kohlrabi that is peeled. Crisp, mild cabbagy flavor ( never knew cabbage had 2 B's until this moment . Guess you learn something new everyday..

Thanks for the tips, Cara, Larry.

Yes, Andy, but a picture isn't worth a couple dozen posts ;^)

That's true. You would have had your answer in one post. Where's the fun in that?

I would have had the answer right in the picture, as I would have included the name tag ;)

Have you ever had it, Andy?

I would have had the answer right in the picture, as I would have included the name tag ;)

Have you ever had it, Andy?

No I haven't. It sounds interesting. I may give it a try. SO not one to experiment but as it's a side dish and not the whole meal she may be more willing.

Anyway, for something different, I was thinking of picking up a vegetable I've never had every week (or so) and giving it a go. I got the idea after talking with Katy and her preparing celeriac last week. She made it sound like something I'd like to try. And I saw celeriac (celery root) in Giant Eagle yesterday, too.
There are lots of veggies I've never eaten or even seen until the new GE got this large produce section... hmmm... Pacanis' Personal Vegetable Challenge... :ermm: :rolleyes:
Not :LOL:

Thanks for all the guesses everyone.

I like your idea of picking up a new-to-you vegetable every week or so. I might start doing that. We can start a "vegi of the day" or something similar, thread.

Huh. I don't consider kohlrabi weird. I don't see it in the supermarket often, however, I buy a lot of it in the farmers market during the summer.

My favorite way to eat them is to peel away the woody outside, slice it in 1/4" rounds (if you have a larger head, you can half or quarter it first), steam it, and toss with a little butter and salt. I think they're pretty yummy. The flavor is kind of like a mild cabbage or, as Larry says, a broccoli stem.

Last edited:
Oh! Carnations! LOL! Dad had planted a border of pink carnations for Mom, the seeds were mislabeled and they got a kohlrabi border instead.

I think they taste more like turnip and I will only eat them raw. Julienne in a slaw, they are good.

Oh! Carnations! LOL! Dad had planted a border of pink carnations for Mom, the seeds were mislabeled and they got a kohlrabi border instead.

I think they taste more like turnip and I will only eat them raw. Julienne in a slaw, they are good.
:ROFLMAO:

I bought them once and thought they tasted more like turnip too. IMHO they are kinda overpriced for something that tastes like turnip. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom