Name this vegetable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cats and greens...
Maybe CW feeds her kohlrabi greens to her chickens.

I eat the leaves (steamed) or chop them up and feed them to the girls. And yes, the more purple veggies I can grow, the happier I am! Which reminds me, time to start the eggplant seeds.

So... which did you use for the coleslaw? :huh:

Not sure how well they steam or if they are too woody. Julienned, the bulb would be good in coleslaw.

So CW doesn't do anything with the stems? The stems might all weigh more than the bulb :huh:

You need to peel them, Pac. Which means the weird twisty things come off too, and you peel the bulb. They're thin skinned, unlike jicama, which is a root, but also needs to be peeled and has more of a turnip-like skin. Think of peeling broccoli stems, or the bottom of asparagus spears, that kind of skin.

I'd never heard of eating the stems, but what the heck, why not?

Last edited:
The stems make up such a large part I thought they would be more used than the bulb.

And yes, the more purple veggies I can grow, the happier I am!

Strange factoid: I found that my chickens and the wild turkeys that sometimes flew over the fence would NOT eat any (greens) that were red or purple. Like Red Leaf Lettuce etc.

You need to peel them, Pac. Which means the weird twisty things come off too, and you peel the bulb. They're thin skinned, unlike jicama, which is a root, but also needs to be peeled and has more of a turnip-like skin. Think of peeling broccoli stems, or the bottom of asparagus spears, that kind of skin.

I'd never heard of eating the stems, but what the heck, why not?

Are the poisonous like the rhubarb leaves? :angel:

I only eat kohlrabi raw. I never think of cooking them. We grow the purple ones in the summer (and some green ones). Grated they are great as a slaw.

Skittering off to the side of the thread subject -- CW, have you grown that gorgeous purple cauliflower yet? And burgundy beans?

Back
Top Bottom