Name this vegetable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's FSM, Fi.

And they did look scary. Like something that had been left to sit too long and sprouted, lol.

I'm still trying to correlate the decline of pirates to global warming :huh:
:ROFLMAO:

I just finished a purple kohlrabi from the farmer's market. Tastes the same as the green ones, which I've only ever tried raw, never cooked. The taste and texture do remind me of broccoli stems or jicama.

You guys are a stitch. Kohlrabi, turnips, exotic?!? My grandma grew these things in her garden back in the 60s and I've been eating them my entire life, so I guess I never gave them much thought.

My little brother used to call Kohlrabi "Martian heads" and refused to eat them. :rolleyes:

I kind of like Flying Spaghetti Monster as a description. Seems fitting. :)

By the way, they also taste great in a bechamel sauce.

I just finished a purple kohlrabi from the farmer's market. Tastes the same as the green ones, which I've only ever tried raw, never cooked. The taste and texture do remind me of broccoli stems or jicama.

Lizzie, I was going to liken the taste to Jicama, but I thought adding another "exotic" veg to the mix might be too confusing! Lol!!!

I was actually amazed when I went to the store today, not being able to find something "exotic" in the produce section. Extravagant, yes...but not exotic.

Oh! Carnations! LOL! Dad had planted a border of pink carnations for Mom, the seeds were mislabeled and they got a kohlrabi border instead...
That's funny PF!

Pac, my Mom used to grow kohlrabi when I was a kid. I haven't had it for a long time so I can't say I remember what it tastes like. They do carry that (along with all kinds of other unusual produce) at my regular grocery store. Now I need to pick a bunch up so I can refresh my memory.

I avoided them for years, just cause I didnt really know what Id do with it. Last year, when I was starting up my garden ( trying to get an early start) I went to the local nursery, and all that had at the time was cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and kohlrabi. I figured, let me get it so my garden looks fool this early on in the season.
It turns out, that they grew better than the other plants. They were about the size of my fist.

I then actually made an asian- like salad with them , and it was great .

Now I get it!------- they were the Flying Twisty Viney Spaghetti Monsters that fly in Clusters.

Why didn't you say so? :LOL::LOL:

I only eat kohlrabi raw. I never think of cooking them. We grow the purple ones in the summer (and some green ones). Grated they are great as a slaw.

What part of it do you grate, stems and body?

I only eat kohlrabi raw. I never think of cooking them. We grow the purple ones in the summer (and some green ones). Grated they are great as a slaw.

Disclaimer!!! You specifically grow purple vegetables, as many as you can find:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom