Navigating oven "french fries"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
So normally I would weed this one out myself and just keep making them until I got the trick. I will probably have to do a little bit of that anyway. But, I don't have tons of time as we are having company tomorrow evening and we are doing burgers, fries and malts. I do have a deep fryer so I can fry them, but I think everyone would appreciate oven fries (and I would like to make them that way).

Here is the recipe I used today:

• 1 large baking potato
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
2. Cut potato into wedges. Mix olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder and onion powder together. Coat potatoes with oil/spice mixture and place on a baking sheet.
3. Bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven turning often.

The fries came out burnt. I tried checking them and taking them out earlier but they weren't cooked. They did end up cooking a total of 38 minutes.

So, my next try, I will decrease the temp in the oven? Perhaps I should toss with olive oil right away but then leave the seasonings to later during cooking? The seasoning burnt pretty quick. I used russet potatoes, cut into wedges, skins on.

Should I cook them a bit before baking? I would love to not have it be a two step process if I can help it. Should they be soaked?

Also I have the option of glass, cast iron, a pizza stone or a regular pizza pan to use. Perhaps one is better over the other?

Thoughts, ideas and advice appreciated!

Thank you

Usually cut wedges will take a little longer to cook.Try lowering the oven temp to 375 degrees 40 minutes.The wedges are a thick cut.I'd peel them,then cut, add them to a large bowl,coat them well with the oil,add your spices,toss again coating well,put them on the baking sheet and cook.Pour the excess oiled into to.It won't hurt.

If you have a french fry cutter that will help,they cut the potatoes more uniformed.That way it takes the guess work out of the cooking time.I usually set aside the smaller pieces,and just cook the ones that are basically the same size.

If you want to can make a killer seasoned dipped batter.Deep fry @350 depending on the cuts and how dark and crisp you want your fries cooking times will vary.The longest would be 10 minutes per basket.Not over crowd,the potatoes and batter expand just a bit while they cook.They are sooo good.You can jazz it up any way you want.

Starter Batch
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups water
1Tablespoon onion powder
1Tablespoon seasoned salt
2 teaspoons chili powder,or flakes
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon baking powder

When the batter is done,add your WEDGIE'S!!! :) to the batter coat well.Dip the basket into the hot oil,before you add the battered fries.It keeps them from sticking.Load your basket,medium fill.It's a little messy,but worth it.Cook it as you want.

Anything goes for the seasonings.The batter works best as medium not too thick or thin,you can adjust the amount of water used.

Good luck

Munky.

Thanks a ton! The fries are in the oven now, a little smaller, at 375. I didn't boil them first, I want to see if I can get away with not doing it.

I wonder what boiling for a few minutes first does? (besides partially cooking them)

Munky I will have to try that batter the next time I fry - I haven't tried that before and it looks good!

I have had a french fry victory lol

Here's what I did:

Oven preheated at 375.

Cut a potato into smaller wedges (uneven wedges even). Put in a large bowl and toss with olive oil. Then toss with the following spices:

paprika
garlic powder
chilli powder
onion powder
salt

Equal parts of each.

I used a pizza sheet and lightly coated the bottom with olive oil for non-stick purposes.

Turned them after 25 minutes of cooking. Took them out at almost 40 minutes of cooking.

They are perfect! They are crispy on the outside, cooked all the way through and the spice combination is fabulous.

I did leave the skins on - to save on work...and I like the skins. :)

Photo:

Attachments

• fries 002.jpg
    fries 002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 208
Glad to hear you had success! One of the things I learned about potatoes is that moisture is the enemy of crispiness. This is the reason most fries are cooked twice. The first time brings them up to a temperature that allows them to evaporate a good bit of the water that they contain. As powerplantop said, boil them partially first, then spread them on a baking sheet. If you stick them in the fridge they will dry out really quickly.
If I really want a nice crispy coating, I usually just use egg whites with lots of spices...low fat, and crisps up nice.

Back
Top Bottom