"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 03-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Need help for BASIC/PLAIN mashed potatoes

hi everyone,
I have been making mashed potatoes with butter and evaporated milk for years, but the texture isn't too great. Mine are not too fluffy and are not as "heavy/dense" as i'd like. I've tried cutting back on the amount of evaporated milk but, i'm still not getting a great product. People I talk to tell me they prepare mashed potatoes the same way I do, but theirs are better. Are there some finer points to making basic mashed potatoes i'm missing?? I'm using Idaho/Russet potatoes. Thanks in advance for any help, gary

p.s. I read somewhere about putting egg yolk in the potatoes to make them more fluffly, can someone explain this please. Also, I've tried boiling the potatoes a little more or a little less "fork tender" what's best?

gary b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
Head Chef
Are you using an electric mixer or a hand smasher? If you over beat them, they'll "fall" and get gummy I know. I've never used evaporated milk, just 1% or cream and only beat for a short bit - like 30 seconds. I also don't add the butter until the end, just put the pats on top and let them melt over the top as people come to the table. Just a few thoughts ... can you expain how you are doing them?

JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
I use a hand masher. Would the electric mixer be better if i'm careful not to over beat?? Also, I have been putting the evaporated milk the and butter in before or during mashing. I sometimes use 2% or 1% milk in place of the evporated milk and it doesn,t seem to make much difference???
gary b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer
I always mash by hand. It is easy enough to do and no chance of making them gummy.

I peel and boil the potatoes till done then. Then I drain the water and put the potatoes back on the burner that is turned off. The residual heat will dry them out a bit which is what you want. Just stir them around for a few seconds. I use whipping cream in my mashed potatoes as well as butter. Yeah they are not super healthy, but they taste so good. don't forget to salt and pepper to taste.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:05 PM   #5
Master Chef
GB has the right trick...the key is getting the water out of the potatoes.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Head Chef
I make them the same way as GB, only I normally use evaporated milk. My family likes them mashed by hand rather whipped with my mixer; they like the few lumps.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I mash mine also and use 1% milk and butter.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
Senior Cook
Ditto, GB...

...plus, don't cook 'em mushy. I like cream cheese and butter and, if necessary, a splash of milk. I quit using a mixer years ago.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #9
Master Chef
add some herbs/ garlic to the cooking water.. if you like that...
I use normal milk, a little warm, and mix with the electric mixer
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
Executive Chef
I do mine like GB, drying the potatoes is key. Maybe you should invest in a potato ricer.

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote