"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
Master Chef

I made stuffed peppers Monday night, and re-vamped my recipe a liittle. You'll find the new version here:

Mexican Stuffed Peppers II

Old 08-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
Head Chef

Here's one with a different twist, I plan on making when the temp cools down. I like the combo of ground lamb, feta, pine nuts, mushrooms, tomatoes, zukes, herbs and orzo. I think couscous could work here as well.

stuffed-peppers.html

When you stuff your peppers, an easy tip, is to slice the peppers in half, rather than stuff/fill them from the top. An assortment of peppers/colors make a nice presentation - i.e. red, yellow, green. Since it is a comfort dish, you could stuff some of the peppers w a mac 'n cheese filling using fontina, bleu (whatever you like) and a small pasta or Spanish rice.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
Cook

I just made chili rellenos the other night and we can't stop talking about how good they were!
Blacken the peppers on a grill or in the broiler and then peel the skin off.
Brown beef (or fake beef like me 'cause I'm a vegetarian) then add some taco seasoning and water until the water is absorbed. Fill the peppers with the beef and top with any cheese you like, I prefer finely shredded quesadilla cheese. Then heat in the oven @ 350 until hot and cheese is melted. Simple, quick, and delicious, can you ask for anything more!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I like to stuff peppers with leftover jambalaya, even if I have to make the jambalaya up fresh just so it can be left over.

I also parboil my peppers for five minutes before stuffing them so they come out nice and soft after you bake them. There is nothing worse than having a guest try to cut into a stuffed pepper and have it fly across the table because the pepper was too tough to cut.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
Master Chef

Caine, what a great idea! I'll bet that's delicious.

I've par-boiled the peppers before too, but if you use a filling that can take it, the peppers will be done after an hour at 350. I like to use the red and orange ones when I have them.

My mother used to stuff them with canned corned be hash. They were pretty good, actually, but talk about heart-burn!

Tags
None