"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-29-2007, 04:17 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thank you all for your ideas - I see what you mean Candocook, I will try peeling them first and the zest, rosemary and garlic sounds great. Yummy

Nina

Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 AM   #12
Head Chef

No need to peel, honestly. Done it both ways and why take the extra step if it isn't necessary.

But therein lies the beauty of having your own kitchen.

"Baby" beets are much sweeter than the bigger ones. And if you can find the candy-striped ones, oy!

Z

Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Zereh. I suggest you do a side by side test even though you say you have already.
And it isn't an extra step--it is just a necessary step in a different order. There is no true caramelization of the beets if they are not peeled first--at least in my understanding of that word. The edges "char" just a bit, the beets contract and concentrate their sugars.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Just thought I'd let you know I used Candocook and Kyles tips - I peeled beets and drizzled with olive oil and rosemary. Had them with other veg and chicken cooked in mushroom sauce. They were delicious and everyone enjoyed them, including my son whose a bit fussy. Will definitely be cooking them again like this. Many thanks to everyone. Nina
Old 01-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I served roasted beets and carrots for a side for Christmas. That was pretty good too. Glad this worked out for you.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I like to roast small ones. Take a bunch of fresh thyme. Take the leaves off the stems, and place the stems in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place the unpeeled beets on top, and almost cover them in olive oil, as if you were going to confit them. Roast until tender, and let cool. Remove the beets, peel them,throw out the stems of thyme, and keep the oil. Julienne the beets. Use the reserved oil to make a dressing, adding honey, dijon, S & P, and balsamic vinegar to taste. Serve on a bed of baby beet greens, oak leaf lettuce, chicory, swiss chard, whatever you have.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

if you have extra beets and you've had your fill of roasted, try boiling and skinning then grating them with freshly grated horseradish. it's delicious on it's own, or you could "invent" your own tweaks by adding everything from sour cream, to olive oil, to herbs or even citrus zests.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None