New Kraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maybe since it is on a kosher food website, that it is prepared in a special way, that is the only instance i have found of "new kraut"

No it has nothing to do with it being kosher. I know I have had regular old sauerkraut from the same brand before.

I've had several friends who made homemade kraut, and it was very good. For all the trouble it takes though, I think I'll stick with the store-bought stuff.

By the way, I heated up some of leftover pork roast with the Bavarian Style kraut for lunch today, toasted a couple pieces of sourdough bread, spread with mustard, and made my sandwich. Quite tasty.

GB said:
In my supermarkets they keep it in the cooler with the hot dogs and bacon.

Ahem. No. Not with the bacon... on purpose.:ohmy: Ba Tamte is kosher.

I love their kraut mixed with pickles and roasted peppers...

OK, we grew up in NYC, and as we grew up we found kosher delis. Did not know each other then. But a very common experience here.

In the delis found the most wonderful hot dogs. But the one thing definitely remember was the kraut. Growing up had always had the very tart stuff, from a can or bag.

But the kosher delis had something that was less sour, somewhat more firm, and great.

Then we were able to get it in jars in the supermarkets, but always cold.

And have a few times, as we have moved about a bit, found the stuff there and there.

Unfortunatley cannot find it here.

Once, several years ago, took a tried-and-true recipe from a respected book and tried to make the stuff.

When we looked at it after the suggested fermenting time, it was only a couple of days, really, well, I don't know what they call black fungus but it was not not anything you would want in your house. We put it in the backyard, hoping the moles would eat it.

Great mole food, I can only guess. They grew like crazy after that.

Go figure.

Assume, like many other folks here, it is fresh, new kraut. Sorta like the European version of kimchee.

But don't remember the carbon dioxide bubbles that I find in Kimchee.

Love the stuff.

Don't know why we only found the new kraut in areas that had many kosher food stores.

To the best of my limited knowledge on kosher requirements, kraut is just hunky dory, I would guess except during Passover (the yeast).

Anyway, that is all we can add.

Know it is not much, just wish we understood more.

momerlyn said:
Ahem. No. Not with the bacon... on purpose.:ohmy: Ba Tamte is kosher.
Yeah that always makes me laugh when I see it. I guess we don't have a lot of Jews stocking the shelves here in my town :-p

What is New Kraut?

Traditional sauerkraut is a fermented pickle - the cabbage is heavily salted, and as the liquid is thus extracted, natural yeasts and bacteria grow, producing acids which pickle the cabbage.

New kraut is more like a refrigerator pickle - the cabbage is soaked in a brine of salt, sugar and white vinegar (with or without other spices/flavorings). This produces a kraut with a bit more texture, more sweetness, and less overall sourness than the traditional kraut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for explaining the difference Dr G. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Welcome to DC.

welcome, doc.

i buy ba tampte brand pickled stuff now and then. i'll have to look for it more often knowing it's the last holdout in brooklyn.

The other day I bought what I thought was Sourkraut. When I ate it though it did not have much of a tang. Upon closer inspection of the lable it seems I bought New Kraut instead of Sour Kraut. I had never heard of New Kraut. I am guessing it just has not been in the pickling liquid as long maybe. Does anyone know what it is?

Kraut is simply german for cabbage. Being german I could understand if they called it fermented cabbage instead of cabbage, but they called it sour cabbage. A very practical and pragmatic people don't you think. On another note, I don't think they could stop the fermentation absolutely by the time it was canned. Maybe they are covering all bases.

Back
Top Bottom