No more onion tears, or just a fluke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
as much as i like onions, i can't see myself hauling out scuba gear or clearing a place for an oscillating fan in order to deal with one. several people mentioned the desirability of having a well sharpened knife, so i bought a new supermarket one yesterday, along with another bag of yellow onions. i am ready now.

as much as i like onions, i can't see myself hauling out scuba gear or clearing a place for an oscillating fan in order to deal with one. several people mentioned the desirability of having a well sharpened knife, so i bought a new supermarket one yesterday, along with another bag of yellow onions. i am ready now.

You might want to touch up the edge on that supermarket knife, just to make sure it's really sharp. A good, hard steel will do the trick.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I keep my onions in the fridge, use a sharp knife, and don't have a problem. Also have all the snorkeling gear, but have not had to use it yet. As Sir Loin said, I leave my fins in the garage, as I don't want to look silly.

is that goodweed as in marijuana? (onionknife is ready for action)

Nope. I don't use any kind of drugs except for those to treat diabetes. Goodweed comes from being the smallest kid in my age group as I was growing up, ridiculously small, two years behind my peers. My dear old dad would give me a pep talk every once in a while when I'd come home dejected and feeling sorry for myself. He always included the sentence, "One of these days, you're going to shoot up like a bad weed.". I never grew taller than 5'6" So if I'm not the proverbial bad weed, I must be Goodweed.

That's why I chose my online moniker, to remember my dad, and how he always tried to make me feel better.:mrgreen:

Nope. I don't use any kind of drugs except for those to treat diabetes. Goodweed comes from being the smallest kid in my age group as I was growing up, ridiculously small, two years behind my peers. My dear old dad would give me a pep talk every once in a while when I'd come home dejected and feeling sorry for myself. He always included the sentence, "One of these days, you're going to shoot up like a bad weed.". I never grew taller than 5'6" So if I'm not the proverbial bad weed, I must be Goodweed.

That's why I chose my online moniker, to remember my dad, and how he always tried to make me feel better.:mrgreen:

great story, great dad. i was a weed myself growing up. at age ten i stood 5'6" and was taller than all my friends. worst of all, TOWERED over every boy i knew (and might potentially "like") my wise old dad took me fishing and taught me horticulture to take my mind off things, all the time assuring me that those other kids would all "catch up" with me. in the meanwhile, i became the best tomboy i could be, getting chosen for sport teams way ahead of most of the boys even, due to my wicked bat and fielding skills. of course by the time everyone had indeed caught up and i was no longer teased for my height, it had long ceased to be an issue for me. there was always an abundance of other adolescent problems to shake my self-worth, anyhow. but one thing stuck with me - i remained an unabashed daddy's girl for ever and always. cos he knew how to make me feel special even when i myself didn't yet.

I never had a problem with onions. I think there are a few factors in play here. Deffinitely a sharp knife is important, work as quickly as you can, and either use the onions right away, or store them someplace where the fumes don't waft up in your face while you are continuing to work. Don't lean over while you are chopping or slicing. I would give the board and knife a good wipe after you are finished with the onions and before you move on to something else. I also think that you can develope a bit of immunity to their effects. The more you do it, the less problems you will have.

I never had a problem with onions. I think there are a few factors in play here. Deffinitely a sharp knife is important, work as quickly as you can, and either use the onions right away, or store them someplace where the fumes don't waft up in your face while you are continuing to work. Don't lean over while you are chopping or slicing. I would give the board and knife a good wipe after you are finished with the onions and before you move on to something else. I also think that you can develope a bit of immunity to their effects. The more you do it, the less problems you will have.

I've got two of those myself, Daddy's girls. They are a wonderful thing for a Dad to have. But alas, they married great husbands and give most of their attentions to them, as it should be. But we still talk to each other, a lot. In fact, one of them talks to me several times a week, though she lives on the East coast. And all my kids call me up for help with a recipe every now and again, or with whatever problem is vexing them that their spouses can't field. It makes me feel special to be able to help.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hi - My first post on this forum.

I use a sharp knife and perhaps its because I'm 6'1 but I haven't cried for years while cutting any variety of onion. My two cents are that its probably the onion you were cutting that was the fluke.

i'm back with a final (i hope) update on the onion chopping caper. it was suggested that the onion-to-be-chopped be rinsed with cold water instead of hot water. i learned that the temperature of the water does not make a difference in this exercise. if i rinse an onion in water regardless of its temperature before cutting it up, my result is a tear-free onion chopping session. thank you all for your help, tips and suggestions about onion chopping. my happy results are: one cool new apple green utility knife w/sheath, fewer purchases of ready-to-go chopped onions from the deli, and a 200% increase in my everyday bag onion usage.... :)

Just one more tip, slicing produces far less airborne onion juice than does chopping. Slicing uses a sliding motion, which separates the onion cells from each other much more cleanly. Chopping, no matter how sharp the knife, crushes some of the onion cells, releasing more micro-droplets into the air.

To dice an onion, I first make a very shallow slice from top to bottom and peel away the first couple of layers to remove the onion skin, and any brown or partially brown layers. I then cut off the bottom and top of the onion. Next, I place the bottom of the onion against the cutting board and make thin, vertical slices from the top, almost to the bottom. I turn the onion 90 degrees and repeat. Finally, cut a thin slice along one edge to make a flat side and place that side against the cutting board. Turn the onion sideways and make thin slices all the way through. This gives you finely diced onion without having to chop and crush the veggie.

This technique also work well for any round veggie or fruit that you want to dice. To control the size of the dice, you simply make the slices closer or further apart. It even works for partially frozen meats, like a boneless ham, or turkey breast.:D

But remember, your knife must be very sharp at all times. A sharp knife is your best friend, after your spouse and kids of course, and maybe your fishing pole.:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom