Nopalitos/nopales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acerbicacid

Senior Cook
Hi, I have just stocked up with some things from an on-line Mexican grocers, and saw the magic word "sale" so had a quick look and found they were selling jars of these, they had either ones already cut into strips or whole ones. I have bought the whole ones.

Only problem - I don't know what to do with them now - I like trying new things (especially when they are reduced :LOL:) I don't think I have ever tasted them so I'd be grateful for any help please and maybe a recipe - thanks.

Nopales (cactus leaves) are great with eggs! I like frying some chopped onion, tomato, bacon and chillies. Add to soft scrambled eggs and top with grated cheddar Yum!
If you cut them into thin strips and add to salad they taste good too or even add them to tacos. You can eat them in casseroles too, they thicken the sauce.

You will want to rinse the brine off before using them and drain well. They are ready to eat as is or sliced, chopped and stirred/tossed into just about anything.

I've only bought them fresh. I probably don't cook them right, because they are always very slimy for me. I'll be looking forward to hearing how the bottled ones come out.

I've only bought them fresh. I probably don't cook them right, because they are always very slimy for me. I'll be looking forward to hearing how the bottled ones come out.

Try buying the younger cactus pads, they have less sap. Boiling twice also removes most of the unpleasant texture. An old Mexican remedy to this the sap is to boil the nopales with a copper coin to thin the sap.
They can also be grilled. The pickles ones do have a better texture.

Back
Top Bottom