"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Sorry, I did skip a step in my last post.

I did in fact par boil them, then rinsed with cold tap water, and then into the fridge. Perhaps the 2-fry method is necessary. Are Russets OK of fries?

Matt

Old 05-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able Hands View Post
Sorry, I did skip a step in my last post.

I did in fact par boil them, then rinsed with cold tap water, and then into the fridge. Perhaps the 2-fry method is necessary. Are Russets OK of fries?

Matt
Russets make good fries. I still think that you may have overloaded the frydaddy. Those things are not meant for many fries. I have a fryer that uses 1 gallon of oil. I use it quite a bit and I don't think I would use anything much smaller. I think that when making fresh fries it is important to be able to maintain the temp with a large amount of oil.

I started with a fry daddy but that was back when it was just me and my wife. Now we are a family of 9 and I'm forced to think big.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 AM   #13
Master Chef

I agree thatg you probably overloaded the Fry-Daddy. The par-boiling initially cooks the potato. Frying makes the outer surface of the potato crisp by replacing the water with oil. But the oil must be very hot. Then, as fry browns, the steam pressure from the potato exerts enough pressure to keep any more oil from soaking into the potato. The outer surface becomes crisp, without the inner meat losing its moisture, thus remaining soft, fluffy, & tender.

The reason I prefer this method of cooking fries is that the outside of the fry isn't as dark by the time the potato is cooked through in a thicker fry. It remains lightly browned and very tasty'

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:25 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able Hands View Post
I wanted to try homemade fries for the first time, and I liked the looks of the OP's ideas. Unfortunately, something went wrong.

I wound up with really great looking fries that were terribly greasy. I mean almost inedible greasy. But then I have an iron stomach, so they got eaten.

Here's what I did, help me figure out what I did wrong... Please.

I used 6 Idaho Russets.
Cleaned off all of the crud.
Pealed and rinsed.
Cut into desired size based on original post.
Rinsed again in colander to get off all excess starch.
Spread out on cooling racks on baking sheets and into fridge for about an hour to remove excess moisture.
Brought vegetable oil up to +/- 375 in fry daddy. (not sure of exact temp in this appliance)
Cooked about 5-6 minutes in the hot oil. Put in same size batch as store bought frozen fries, cooked about the same amount of time.
Removed to cooling rack to drain for a few minutes.

So, what did I do wrong? The oil is a bit old and is on it's way out, but not that bad. Did I use the wrong spuds? Rinse too much? Maybe cut too big? I'M LOST!! As usual.

Matt
The only reason for greasy fries would be oil temp to low. But it sounds like when you put your fries in the oil you dried them out. Since you washed and dried them so much, the potatoes had nothing left in them so they wanted to absorb whatever they could, and in yoru case oil.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone, I think I probably did over load being used to precooked fries.

The comment that made the most sense to me was about the fries being too dried out and sucking in the oil. I may try to do another smaller batch today and see how they come out. My fryer only holds 2 quarts of oil. Any thoughts on an amount of spuds to put in?

Tags
None