"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I love veggies, even some of the wierd ones, but cooking and seasoning veg is one of the culinary arts.

carrots are beautiful cooked and finished with butter and nutmeg / carrots and turnips cooked together form a great mash, as do rutabaga and potato-awesome together! /peas with mint, string beans and wax beans with bacon and white wine,/ chopped cabbage, chard, collards with bacon or ham, broth, touch of white wine, red pepper flakes!!. beets, roasted and peeled, sliced, fresh orange juice and dill! wow!

grilling veg, roasting veg together with olive oil and thyme and garlic, steaming veg and having dipping sauces, making Indian curried veg over rice.

So many ways to go.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Master Chef

i love veggies! garlic & butter, ginger, they add great flavor! i discovered a new fave last night involving veggies & tofu. that's dinner again tonite.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Deathbysoup
If you don't like raw veggies it doesn't mean you can't have salads. There are loads of salads with cooked veggies in them . If you want to try something different here are some suggestions:

Carrots -
-Steam them and then toss with melted butter and brown sugar
-Add them to a foil packet with your potatoes and onions and cook on the grill.

I'm a carb whore so a great way to get your veggies is to mix them with some carby foods. I love making a stuffing and then mixing in some broccoli, cauliflower , carrots or asparagus. Bake .

Sweet potatoes fries!

chop up the veggies of your choosing add some tomato sauce top with breadcrumbs maybe a bit of cheese and bake . Yum
Old 06-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Head Chef

Just a few hours ago, I bought three bags of clean and locally-grown veggies from a guy who brings them to our house weekly - the mixed vegetables contain carrots, corn, cabbage, green beans, chayote, nopal, broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini. I'm going to steam them all together for a potluck tonight. I'll make a sauce to pour over them by sauteeing minced onions and garlic, some strips of poblano chiles in butter, then adding some cream cheese and stirring until it melts. Other people are bringing meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes,blackberry cobbler. Yum......

Old 06-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbysoup View Post
If you don't like raw veggies it doesn't mean you can't have salads. There are loads of salads with cooked veggies in them . If you want to try something different here are some suggestions:

Carrots -
-Steam them and then toss with melted butter and brown sugar
-Add them to a foil packet with your potatoes and onions and cook on the grill.

I'm a carb whore so a great way to get your veggies is to mix them with some carby foods. I love making a stuffing and then mixing in some broccoli, cauliflower , carrots or asparagus. Bake .

Sweet potatoes fries!

chop up the veggies of your choosing add some tomato sauce top with breadcrumbs maybe a bit of cheese and bake . Yum
Have you ever boiled potatoes and carrots together and then made regular mashed potatoes? The carrots give a lovely color (either blend totally or leave chunky) and taste, depending on how many you choose to put in.

I also like mixing in some turnips or cauliflower with my mashed potatoes or simply make "mashed potatoes" out of these individual veggies.

MexicoKaren - OMGoodness! That sounds wonderful!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #16
Master Chef

One of my more popular salads is mixes of vegs that have been steamed, are canned or frozen, or picked. Tossed with your favorite salad dressing and you have a good cold salad without the texture you don't like in raw salads. I always think this is too easy, but you'd be surprised the compliments I get on these, especially in the winter months when great produce just isnt available. Roasted peppers (my husband does them, I freeze), artichoke hearts, good quality mushrooms, pickled baby carrots or beets. They all toss together into a nice sort of anti-pasta salad.

You say you don't like raw veggies, but have you ever made lettuce rolls? Easy to make.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
Cook

I'm a vegetarian so you're barking up the wrong tree, but try juicing. You can add fruit to them and Viola, your veggies taste sweet.

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
I plainly don't like a lot of veggies, and the only way I can eat most of them are in stews, soups, casseroles, For instant I like carrots but only hard boiled and soften. Or peeled in to little cheese string type peels.

And I need to eat more veggies, So any suggestions?
I second the idea of roasting. Take most veggies (start experimenting with root veggies like potato, rutabagas, turnips, etc. quartered as they are most forgiving), put in a ziplock bag with Italian dressing to start with, let marinade for an hour or so, than either grill at medium hot, or put in the oven at around 425F for 45min or so until tender to your liking. After you enjoy that meal, start experimenting with other veggies and different marinades. You'll start liking the veggies :-)

A simple search like this: http://tinyurl.com/m97vdo will yield both fun in searching for new ideas, but also a lot of recipes.

Bob
Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #19
Head Chef

Risottos are a great way to eat vegetables. My ultimate comfort food.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I have the same problem i don't eat alot of vegies and i always eat the same ones. What i do now is taste test the vegies to see which one i might like. I do like some vegies with salad dressing.

Tags
None