"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
Master Chef

Novel Way to Make Smashed Spuds

I have a unique way of making mashed potatoes that leaves me with richer flavor.
Background: when mashed potatoes are made from boiled potatoes, you lose some of flavor as the skin is removed, and the water leeches away some of the potato flesh flavor. Plus, nutrients are lost. So, I was in search of a better mashed potato.

I know what you're thinking, just mash them with the skins on. But here's the problem with that, I like my mashed potato creamy smooth, and buttery. Mashed potatoes with the skins on just doesn't seem liek the best method to me.

Here's my solution, and it helps with portion control too:
Bake, or microwave one medium potato for each person. Cut the cooked potato in half, sideways. Hold hot spud half with a clean pot holder. Stab little holes through the flesh, but not through the skin. Lightly salt the potato flesh if you must, but you don't really need to. Now put a tsp. of real butter on the flesh and stab into the potato until it's absorbed. Slowly place a tbs. of milk on top of the potato flesh until it sinks in. Carefully mix inside the skin with the fork. Add a little more milk if required. REpeat with the 2nd half of the potato.

This mashed potato technique gives you silky-smooth mashed potato with rich flavor, plus you get to eat the yummy and nutritions potato skin afterward, or remove the potato flesh and fill the skin with something good and enjoy.

This technique seems like a lot of work. However, once you try it, you will find that the end result is worth it, and the time you spend would have taken even more time peeling, boiling, draining, and mashing, and won't be as tasty or as nutritious.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Chief, you have too much time on your hands.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This sounds delish, Chief, however, there's a whole lotta stabbing going on. Must be your military or martial arts training!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:35 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
This sounds delish, Chief, however, there's a whole lotta stabbing going on. Must be your military or martial arts training!

It first surfaced as a child at my Grandpa's home. Grandpa was the head cook there and boiled spuds was part of almost every meal. On day I wanted smashed spuds and so put butter on my potatoes and mashed it in. Then I poured a little milk on them and turned them into mashed potatoes on my plate. I think I was about ten years old then.

The smashed spuds in the skin was something similar, a baked potato, skin on, a hunger for mashed potatoes, a little butter (ok, a significant amount of butter), a bit of milk, and voila, I had my mashed potatoes. And yes, you're right, people looked at me funny. But my mashed potatoes were some of the tastiest I'd ever eaten. And so a new technique was born, in a cafeteria break room.

Who says you can't get good food in a cafeteria, if you're willing to think outside the box, maybe outside the planet?

And yes, I know I'm a bit off, and very proud of it. While others are satisfied with ho-hum, I want excellence whenever I can get it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 05-21-2015, 11:38 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Chief, you have too much time on your hands.
In my cookbook, right on the cover, I state "Turn ordinary into extraordinary."
Never settle, my friend. Life is too short to settle.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I just happen to be one of the folks who like lumpy potatoes. There is a divey diner in Boston near South Station. They serve nice lumpy potatoes. They have plenty of butter and cream. And plenty of lumps. Gee, if they ever served perfect mashed potatoes, folks would think that they had sold the diner and r ise up in protest!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:17 AM   #7
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just happen to be one of the folks who like lumpy potatoes. There is a divey diner in Boston near South Station. They serve nice lumpy potatoes. They have plenty of butter and cream. And plenty of lumps. Gee, if they ever served perfect mashed potatoes, folks would think that they had sold the diner and r ise up in protest!
Ah...and now, of course, there are "crushed potatoes"!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Ah...and now, of course, there are "crushed potatoes"!
Isn't that what a potato masher, and a ricer, and a fork all do to a potato?

I like smashed spuds because it's such an informal, and efficient name, only two syllables. Somehow, it conjures the idea of a wild spirit, unwilling to bend to every little societal rule, someone who isn't snobbish, and just wants to call it what it is. It's like something a couple of teenage boys would say when camping on a little island, away from everyone. It makes me think of someone who is a little rough around the edges, but a good guy or gal.

In other words, I like Huck Fin better than I like Tom Sawyer. Tom is cool, but Huck is cooler. Just MHO. I bet Huck would have made smashed spuds in the skin, like I do.

The only people Huck didn't like were snobs, charlatans, and bullies. He was a great guy.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Isn't that what a potato masher, and a ricer, and a fork all do to a potato?
Well it's a question of degree. I am sure you are familiar with lightly crushed potato, i.e. done with a fork, still retaining its lumpy appearance (more than mush). A ricer is for seriously smooth mash!
Old 05-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I have found that if you boil or bake potatoes whole, then press them through a potato ricer, the potato comes out the bottom and the skin is left in the ricer. Just remove the skin to the compost container and continue to march.

Tags
butter, milk, potato, recipe, salt

Novel Way to Make Smashed Spuds I have a unique way of making mashed potatoes that leaves me with richer flavor. Background: when mashed potatoes are made from boiled potatoes, you lose some of flavor as the skin is removed, and the water leeches away some of the potato flesh flavor. Plus, nutrients are lost. So, I was in search of a better mashed potato. I know what you're thinking, just mash them with the skins on. But here's the problem with that, I like my mashed potato creamy smooth, and buttery. Mashed potatoes with the skins on just doesn't seem liek the best method to me. Here's my solution, and it helps with portion control too: Bake, or microwave one medium potato for each person. Cut the cooked potato in half, sideways. Hold hot spud half with a clean pot holder. Stab little holes through the flesh, but not through the skin. Lightly salt the potato flesh if you must, but you don't really need to. Now put a tsp. of real butter on the flesh and stab into the potato until it's absorbed. Slowly place a tbs. of milk on top of the potato flesh until it sinks in. Carefully mix inside the skin with the fork. Add a little more milk if required. REpeat with the 2nd half of the potato. This mashed potato technique gives you silky-smooth mashed potato with rich flavor, plus you get to eat the yummy and nutritions potato skin afterward, or remove the potato flesh and fill the skin with something good and enjoy. This technique seems like a lot of work. However, once you try it, you will find that the end result is worth it, and the time you spend would have taken even more time peeling, boiling, draining, and mashing, and won't be as tasty or as nutritious. Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews