"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-25-2005, 03:43 PM   #21
Executive Chef

See - these'r all good - but - the 'mater has to shine! That's why my 'ode to the tomato sandwich'!

Old 07-25-2005, 03:58 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
kadesma i did a search and while this isn't our exact recipe it's pretty close

http://www.ci.torrance.ca.us/city/de...read/b-002.htm
Thanks Middie, I'll give it a try..It looks really good.
kadesma

Old 07-26-2005, 09:37 PM   #23
Master Chef

When I was a child, my dad was stationed in Germany. We lived in a housing area that was in the middle of a local community (as opposed to on base). We were not supposed to eat "off the economy" (in other words, we were supposed to eat from the American exchange/commissary system to try to keep down black marketing). Mom, however, did as she pleased. In the summer we had a vegetable man who came around selling from door to door. One day a week fresh bread was delivered to our little military store -- hot, in white wax wrappers. We'd buy the bread, and slice tomatoes, cukes and lettuce from the local farmer, and a bit of miracle whip. Nothing could ever beat those sandwiches.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:31 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
When I was a child, my dad was stationed in Germany. We lived in a housing area that was in the middle of a local community (as opposed to on base). We were not supposed to eat "off the economy" (in other words, we were supposed to eat from the American exchange/commissary system to try to keep down black marketing). Mom, however, did as she pleased. In the summer we had a vegetable man who came around selling from door to door. One day a week fresh bread was delivered to our little military store -- hot, in white wax wrappers. We'd buy the bread, and slice tomatoes, cukes and lettuce from the local farmer, and a bit of miracle whip. Nothing could ever beat those sandwiches.
Sounds yummy Claire,
There are foods I remember coming from my grandma's garden that for me, cannot be gotten and tasste the same from the store...Tomatoes, just have to be homegrown to get that sweetness the sun gives them...Nothing compares..
kadesma
Old 07-27-2005, 01:00 AM   #25
Cook

TomatoSandwiches

Marmalady, i absolutely love Tomato Sandwiches, and cannot get enough... My Dh says, i could eat my weight in them.

Note: This is Faith hill, favorite food.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Middie,
bread is in the oven...Now the hard part, waiting to taste it. It looked beautiful what with the specks or red and green in it. Thank you for finding it for me.
kadesma
Old 07-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Middie,
I couldn't wait for two days to taste this bread..I waited til it cooled then cut a slice, it was delicious. The bread is rough and pebbely on the outside, inside is soft and cake like and it is beautiful to look at. All speckled with basil, parsley and sun dried tomato. This will make some lovely appitizers, I'm thinking rare roast beef on mayo with tomato and a basil leaf, some cream cheese with a little pesto mixed in, turkey..I plan to make a large loaf so we can make lunch sandwiches with it..I also like the slight nip from the black pepper..Really good..Middie, thanks again
kadesma
Old 07-30-2005, 07:03 AM   #28
Master Chef

Another childhood tomato sandwich memory. We'd just moved to California, and we discovered sourdough bread. The rest of the family preferred the soft white packaged bread, mom and I loved the "tougher" chew of sourdough and the tangy flavor, so we'd keep a loaf in the freezer, and pry off and toast a slice when we wanted it (for those who don't know, this process actually enhances the tangy flavor of sourdough). My favorite in those days was taking a piece of toast, making a thin layer of cheddar, then sliced tomatoes, stick under the broiler (usually of a toaster oven) until the cheddar sizzles. S&P. It's still a favorite breakfast of mine, except that right now I cannot get good sourdough here. I use a locally made sourdough rye, which is good, so why can't they make a simple sourdough? I'll ask ... probably because local tastes are such that they can't sell it.

As usual, I digress.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:26 AM   #29
Cook

Ode to The tomato

Everytime I read anything in this post, my mouth waters for a TOMATO>

Songbird
Old 07-31-2005, 09:40 AM   #30
Master Chef

Claire, sometimes Krogers has a good tangy sourdough, and my husband loves it, the stronger the better. I like the milder ones, and toasting does bring out the flavor.
I have some tomatoes sitting on the kitchen counter...I think you just gave me a good idea for breakfast.

Tags
None