Ode to Tomato Sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was a child, my dad was stationed in Germany. We lived in a housing area that was in the middle of a local community (as opposed to on base). We were not supposed to eat "off the economy" (in other words, we were supposed to eat from the American exchange/commissary system to try to keep down black marketing). Mom, however, did as she pleased. In the summer we had a vegetable man who came around selling from door to door. One day a week fresh bread was delivered to our little military store -- hot, in white wax wrappers. We'd buy the bread, and slice tomatoes, cukes and lettuce from the local farmer, and a bit of miracle whip. Nothing could ever beat those sandwiches.

Claire said:
When I was a child, my dad was stationed in Germany. We lived in a housing area that was in the middle of a local community (as opposed to on base). We were not supposed to eat "off the economy" (in other words, we were supposed to eat from the American exchange/commissary system to try to keep down black marketing). Mom, however, did as she pleased. In the summer we had a vegetable man who came around selling from door to door. One day a week fresh bread was delivered to our little military store -- hot, in white wax wrappers. We'd buy the bread, and slice tomatoes, cukes and lettuce from the local farmer, and a bit of miracle whip. Nothing could ever beat those sandwiches.
Sounds yummy Claire,
There are foods I remember coming from my grandma's garden that for me, cannot be gotten and tasste the same from the store...Tomatoes, just have to be homegrown to get that sweetness the sun gives them...Nothing compares..
kadesma:)

TomatoSandwiches

Marmalady, i absolutely love Tomato Sandwiches, and cannot get enough... My Dh says, i could eat my weight in them.

Note: This is Faith hill, favorite food.

middie said:
kadesma i did a search and while this isn't our exact recipe it's pretty close

http://www.ci.torrance.ca.us/city/dept/cable/comcook/bread/b-002.htm
Middie,
I couldn't wait for two days to taste this bread..I waited til it cooled then cut a slice, it was delicious. The bread is rough and pebbely on the outside, inside is soft and cake like and it is beautiful to look at. All speckled with basil, parsley and sun dried tomato. This will make some lovely appitizers, I'm thinking rare roast beef on mayo with tomato and a basil leaf, some cream cheese with a little pesto mixed in, turkey..I plan to make a large loaf so we can make lunch sandwiches with it..I also like the slight nip from the black pepper..Really good..Middie, thanks again
kadesma:)

Another childhood tomato sandwich memory. We'd just moved to California, and we discovered sourdough bread. The rest of the family preferred the soft white packaged bread, mom and I loved the "tougher" chew of sourdough and the tangy flavor, so we'd keep a loaf in the freezer, and pry off and toast a slice when we wanted it (for those who don't know, this process actually enhances the tangy flavor of sourdough). My favorite in those days was taking a piece of toast, making a thin layer of cheddar, then sliced tomatoes, stick under the broiler (usually of a toaster oven) until the cheddar sizzles. S&P. It's still a favorite breakfast of mine, except that right now I cannot get good sourdough here. I use a locally made sourdough rye, which is good, so why can't they make a simple sourdough? I'll ask ... probably because local tastes are such that they can't sell it.

As usual, I digress.

Claire, sometimes Krogers has a good tangy sourdough, and my husband loves it, the stronger the better. I like the milder ones, and toasting does bring out the flavor.
I have some tomatoes sitting on the kitchen counter...I think you just gave me a good idea for breakfast.

Unfortunately, I do not live in the land of Krogers. Once upon a time, there was a purveyor of sourdough that several grocery store (including WalMart) bought from that had a separate little kiosk and had pretty good sourdough, but here in town I haven't seen them. We have a LaBrea kiosk in our local grocery, but, much as I love most of their bread, the sourdough isn't really all that sour (I really like that tang). It'll get here eventually (I've had that sourdough problem many places I've lived, and eventually the local tastes grow up enough that a decent sourdough appears). It is nice to know that good taste in food is getting around. Unfortunately, as I'm living my 50th year, more and more of my freinds don't really enjoy food. They're trying to lose weight, diabetic, vegans, have high cholesterol, bad teeth ..... I just love getting older, don't you?

Back
Top Bottom