Ode to Tomato Sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Let's not forget the humble but magnificent tomato sandwich, while we're getting all our tomato ideas!

The basics- white bread, a juicy ripe tomato, mayo and salt/pepper if you like; slather the mayo on the bread, add tomato slices, then stand over the sink to eat - heaven!

Marmalady,

yes, yes, yes,...Another good one, sun drenched and warm, slice tomato, take a thick slice of fresh french bread, coat with evoo, pile on tomato, drizzle with more evoo, salt and pepper and some fresh basil if you like and a tiny bit of balsamic or red wine vinegar, hang over sink and eat:LOL:
kadesma

Mine is lightly toasted rye bread, a smear of mayo, fresh juicy tomatoes and salt and pepper.

Alix,

never thought of rye bread and I love it with ham and swiss, will have to give it a try just the rye, mayo and tomato :)
kadesma

Oh, you won't regret it. The tang from the rye bread is the perfect complement to the tomato. MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Flour tortilla
an entire tomato, sliced
1/2 avocado sliced
pepper jack, shredded

Roll up, catching the end in the roll, so you can eat it in front of the computer without making a mess.

Oh boy, well I've copied all of these, hope more are coming..Great ideas here...

kadesma:)

look and see if you can find tomato parsley bread. we used to sell it but it was discontinued much to my dismay. if you can find it use that for tomato sandwiches, or blt's !!! yummmmmmmmy

You know Middie, I love making bread, wonder if I could come up with somethinng that would work...I'll have to see..Sounds like a fun challenge:)

kadesma

Rye bread!!! I love a grilled cheese sandwich with mayo and then a slice of tomato in between the 3 different cheeses - it's wonderful!!!! I used to keep this little girl and she LOVED PB&J on rye - I tried it one day and it was pretty good!!!!

marm, i LOVE tomato sammiches! scallion sammiches, too, with nothing but salt and pepper, not even any mayo.... mmmmm......:-p

Homemade toasted English Muffin Bread, thick sliced tomatoes warm from the garden, a sprinkling of sea salt and alot of napkin to catch the juices. Then for dessert begin all over again! = )

marmalady said:
Let's not forget the humble but magnificent tomato sandwich, while we're getting all our tomato ideas!

The basics- white bread, a juicy ripe tomato, mayo and salt/pepper if you like; slather the mayo on the bread, add tomato slices, then stand over the sink to eat - heaven!

That's exactly how I like mine! So good with freshly picked tomatoes. A little extra mayo for me please!!

Alix said:
Oh, you won't regret it. The tang from the rye bread is the perfect complement to the tomato. MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
I don't think I've ever eaten a tomato sammich that way, but I can almost taste exactly what you're talking about Alix.

I bet you're 100% right about it too.

The other staple tomato sandwich around here:

French baguette
zesty italian dressing
tomatoes
wet buffalo mozzerella
fresh basil leaves

jkath said:
The other staple tomato sandwich around here:

French baguette
zesty italian dressing
tomatoes
wet buffalo mozzerella
fresh basil leaves

Ok... I'm drooling now.

Yesterday for lunch, I had chicken salad and a big, juicy slice of tomato on toasted whole wheat bread. (Ate the rest of the tomato on the side.
I love tomatoes any way I can get them.

make an Italian quesadilla...flour or corn tortilla, sliced ripe tomato, some ripped fresh basil, a lil chopped garlic and evoo, and shredded mozzarella. sea salt n pepper, top with another tortilla and heat in a dry fry pan (a good use for silverstone!), flip once...dig in. One of my all time favorite quick and easy meals, and a real crowd pleaser!

Back
Top Bottom