Oh no not zucchini!-rec.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bah, humbug! Zucchini sucks. I don't care for the flavor or the texture, fried, grilled, stewed, sauteed, baked, in soups or stews or casseroles or by itself. I see no reason to eat it when there are so many better choices.

This is one of my fave ways of using zucchini. Had it last night as an accompaniment to some "Teriyaki Salmon"

BREEZY SESAME ZUCCHINI CARROT RAMEN NOODLES

1 small/medium zucchini
1 medium carrot
1 package Ramen noodle soup mix
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Aprox. 1 teaspoon (about 1”) peeled & grated fresh ginger
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Soy sauce to taste
Vegetable oil
Hot sesame oil (or regular, if desired)

Wash & trim zucchini; trim & peel carrot. Grate, shred, or julienne slice both (julienned produces the best result).

Discard soup/seasoning packet from Ramen noodles (or save for another use). Cook noodles according to package directions & drain.

In a medium/large skillet, heat a thin coating of vegetable oil & sauté squash & carrot until just barely tender. Add ginger & garlic & stir a few times. Add drained noodles & combine gently. Add crushed red pepper flakes & soy sauce to taste & gently combine again. Serve with a drizzle of hot (or regular) sesame oil on top.

Bah, humbug! Zucchini sucks. I don't care for the flavor or the texture, fried, grilled, stewed, sauteed, baked, in soups or stews or casseroles or by itself. I see no reason to eat it when there are so many better choices.

Scotch, how do you really feel? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

LOL - good thing you've never eaten my chili I sometimes make. I cube it and no one is the wiser!

Oh rats Scotch, I was just gonna post a recipe for beets ala mode:LOL:
kades

i don't care for beets either. EXCEPT when my mom put raw beets, carrots, celery and apple through the juicerator (sp).

i gave my daughter beets ONCE when she was just starting to eat solids. when i changed her diaper it scared the poop out of ME and i never did that again.

I love beets especially with evoo,vinegar a little brown sugar..
kades

We all kind of go by zucchini and ignore it..I like it but there are so many veggies that are so much more beautiful to look and, that have a unique flavor that calls to us..So after making this I have a new respect for the good ol zucchini.
Slice the long way 6-8 zucchini, in a shallow bowl or pan add 1/3 c. evoo juice of one lemon and some of it's zest.Add 2 cloves crushed garlic about 1 teal ground cumin or more if you choose. add some kosher salt and some fresh ground black pepper, I use coarse grind I love that crunch and burst of heat from the larger grind.Put zucchini in the marinade coat well and let it marinate at least 2 hours. Prepare a med fire or use an indoor grilput on the zucchini and leave til you can see a light grill mark thenturn do not let it get mooshie:LOL: you want it just a little crisp..When done to your liking remove to platter give a light squeeze of lemon and more salt and pepper and enjoy.
kadesma

I think this is tasty. I prefer it with home made fresh Salsa.

Mexican Veggies Recipe
SERVINGS: 2
CATEGORY: Low Fat
METHOD:
TIME: Prep/Total Time: 15 min.
Ingredients:
  • 1 medium zucchini, diced
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup salsa or picante sauce
Directions:
Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; add zucchini and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until zucchini is almost tender. Drain. Stir in salsa; heat through. Yield: 2 servings.

This is one of my fave ways of using zucchini. Had it last night as an accompaniment to some "Teriyaki Salmon"

BREEZY SESAME ZUCCHINI CARROT RAMEN NOODLES

1 small/medium zucchini
1 medium carrot
1 package Ramen noodle soup mix
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Aprox. 1 teaspoon (about 1”) peeled & grated fresh ginger
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Soy sauce to taste
Vegetable oil
Hot sesame oil (or regular, if desired)

Wash & trim zucchini; trim & peel carrot. Grate, shred, or julienne slice both (julienned produces the best result).

Discard soup/seasoning packet from Ramen noodles (or save for another use). Cook noodles according to package directions & drain.

In a medium/large skillet, heat a thin coating of vegetable oil & sauté squash & carrot until just barely tender. Add ginger & garlic & stir a few times. Add drained noodles & combine gently. Add crushed red pepper flakes & soy sauce to taste & gently combine again. Serve with a drizzle of hot (or regular) sesame oil on top.

Thanks Breezy, your recipe looks really inviting,I know my group will enjoy it,
kadesma

I think this is tasty. I prefer it with home made fresh Salsa.

Mexican Veggies Recipe
SERVINGS: 2
CATEGORY: Low Fat
METHOD:
TIME: Prep/Total Time: 15 min.
Ingredients:
  • 1 medium zucchini, diced
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup salsa or picante sauce
Directions:
Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; add zucchini and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until zucchini is almost tender. Drain. Stir in salsa; heat through. Yield: 2 servings.
Thank you for sharing you recipe..Who know when I posted this all the wonderful recipes I'd get to try...Thanks again Patty
kadesma

Thanks Breezy, your recipe looks really inviting,I know my group will enjoy it,
kadesma

You're welcome Kadesma!:chef:

One thing I should have noted was that when I first threw this together years ago, the Asian section in supermarkets was almost nonexistent, thus the use of the ramen noodles from ramen soup. These days, however, all the supermarkets around here carry packages of plain ramen noodles in the Asian product section - usually in sizes just a little bit larger than the soup ones - & that's what I've been using lately (utilizing the whole package). The plain ramen noodles have a bit more "tooth/body" to them than the soup ones, but either type will work.

Summer squash (albeit small ones) have just started to arrive at our local farmers market, & I picked up two "8-Ball" round zucchini that I plan to slice in half, hollow out, & stuff with a mixture of couscous mixed with sliced grape tomatoes, sauteed onion, bell pepper, & the diced zucchini innards.

Will be serving them alongside a "Bright Lights" Swiss Chard-stuffed turkey meatloaf.

my mom would thinnly slice zucchini into rounds, heat olive oil in pan and add 1 small crushed garlic clove (just for flavor not to over power), heat till garlic is fragrant, fish out garlic and discard. add zucchini and cook till tender and brown around the edges. pour all into a container add extra olive oil to cover. rip fresh mint leaves and add to container. allow to sit in frdge till chilled. she would eat it by serving in bowl and used crusty bread to dip in the oil.

i didn't like it but she grew up on it and loved it, especially with her home grown zucchini.

my mom would thinnly slice zucchini into rounds, heat olive oil in pan and add 1 small crushed garlic clove (just for flavor not to over power), heat till garlic is fragrant, fish out garlic and discard. add zucchini and cook till tender and brown around the edges. pour all into a container add extra olive oil to cover. rip fresh mint leaves and add to container. allow to sit in frdge till chilled. she would eat it by serving in bowl and used crusty bread to dip in the oil.

i didn't like it but she grew up on it and loved it, especially with her home grown zucchini.
Mom did somethingalmost the same, no mint but heated olive oil,garlic ,chopped onion, when onion was soft add beaten eggs with fresh chopped parsley and some parmesan cheese..mix well put skillet in the oven after topping with Monterey jack cheese..We loved it..Think it might have been the cheese?:LOL: I like the way your mom's recipe sounds..I love mint..emmm

Mom did somethingalmost the same, no mint but heated olive oil,garlic ,chopped onion, when onion was soft add beaten eggs with fresh chopped parsley and some parmesan cheese..mix well put skillet in the oven after topping with Monterey jack cheese..We loved it..Think it might have been the cheese?:LOL: I like the way your mom's recipe sounds..I love mint..emmm
did she add zucchini or was this an egg dish.

did she add zucchini or was this an egg dish.
oh boy yes she added zucchini, browned them then added the onions and garlic the eggs went in last..mom could really stretch a meal:LOL:
kades

i used to have a recipe for chocolate zucchini cake. was like a pound cake. gonna look for it. if found will post. i remember it being yummy. i have cut zucchini into match sticks and sauté with mushrooms for a side. people that say they don't like veg. seem to like this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom