Okra ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbib

Assistant Cook
Just came back from vacation and my okra plants are loaded. Any tips on frying and/or other recipes?

While I do not make a habit of purchasing fast or processed food products, when my okra plants start producing, I ALWAYS keep a few boxes of Zatarain's "Jambalaya" & "Gumbo" rice mixes on hand.

Sometimes, after a long day, it's nice to just be able to add some chicken, shrimp, &/or sliced sausages to one of these delicious/spicy mixtures, along with several handfuls of sliced fresh okra from the garden. Add a green salad & a nice dinner is on the table in about 25 minutes.

Saute a diced onion in a saucepan. Add a minced clove of garlic and a tablespoon of tomato paste and saute for a few minutes. Add a 14 can of tomato and 12-16 ounces of okra. Season with salt and pepper, cumin. Simmer until the okra is cooked through. Add a tsp of lemon juice and serve.

Actually my favorite way is mixing okra, an onion and green beans together and cooking them. :) Very simple, but very delicious.

I like to combine Andy's and IcyMist's ideas!!!!! This sounds like a plan for my supper!!!

Shunka said:
I like to combine Andy's and IcyMist's ideas!!!!! This sounds like a plan for my supper!!!

The recipe I gave you was originally a string bean recipe and I made a version with the okra.

That is what I thought; I usually add a few slices of bacon, cut up too!! Thanks to you and Icy, I have made up my mind for my supper! But I have to settle with using frozen okra; not quite as good but have found I can't grwo okra here.

I like to batter mine up and fry 'em or use the whole pods in suops,gumbo's
if you like tomamtoes srewed tom's and okra area good hit, some folks pickle okra, I don't know how...

I only use okra for some Indian recipes I make. I don't like the 'slimy' result when you fry it, without dressing it in a really nice curry sauce!

I came across this making some gumbo one day... it suggested to bake the okra for about 5 to 10 minutes, it dries it up so it is not slimey. However, when doing this, I found the okra to be quite tasty this way...just sprinkle some season salt and bake! Very good and very simple.

I do not like Okra slimy either - different strokes for different folks. I think you got some great ideas and here is another one. It is in line with Indian cuisine so try it only if you like the spices and flavors in that cuisine.

Discard the stem of the okra and split it into half (horizonally lengthwise). Add some oil to a pan (2 tbsp or so, any kind is fine). Keep the heat on low flame so it's not very hot. Add some cumin powder, corrainder powder,red chilli powder, paprika and salt to the oil. Let the spices toast a bit in the oil. Next add the okras and stir them so that the spices are nicely coating the okras.

Let the okras cook with the spices uncovered (they will pan fry nicely). Cook them until the okra is nice and crisp (they will turn a brownish color). Sprinkle with some lime juice and they are ready.

Serve it as a side with anything your heart desires. We normally make this on the side along with Dahl and rice for a delicious and healthy all vegetarian fare- Yummm now I have to make some.

That sounds similar to a recipe I make, Yakuta. I can only tolerate 'lady's fingers' (aren't they called Bhindi?) 'in Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi food.

Last edited:
I am with you Ishbel. I find them pretty slimy and if they are not spiced up and pan fried until crisp and dried I can't eat them :) . I guess all of us are raised differently with different tastes (some of them acquired and others you learn to love). Yes we call them Bhindi in Hindi (nice rhyme to that :) )

'Indian' food is now considered as British as fish and chips!

Isn't a Bindi also the red mark worn on forehead by some Asian women?

Yep the confusion in some languages. Bhindi means okra and the H is stressed and Bindi which used to be the sign of a married woman amongst Hindus but now is a fashion statement for all women in India is where the i is stressed.

Oh yes - I should have added that when my okra plants are producing I also add sliced pods to any & every Indian curry & Asian stir-fry I make!! Absolutely delicious!!

I've not actually eaten a lot of okra, but I hope to experiment more in the future. For now, this is probably the best recipe I've made with it.

Okra with Garlic and Dill

4 tbsp of vegetable or chicken stock (homemade if possible)
1 ½ tbsp melted butter (I use unsalted) or olive oil (if olive oil is used this dish becomes vegan)
a pinch of freshly cracked black pepper and salt, to taste (both optional)
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped (or however much you prefer)
3 tbsp of fresh green onions (spring onions) or chives, finely chopped (optional)
1 tbsp of fresh dill fawns (feathery leaves), finely chopped
½ pound (225 grams) of fresh or frozen (thaw first) okra pods, cleaned trimmed if required

First preheat your own to 450°F (230° C).

In a large mixing bowl combine the melted butter (or olive oil), vegetable (or chicken) stock, salt & pepper, chopped garlic and green onions (or chives, if using). Stir together and then add in the okra until it's well coated in the butter mixture. Gently fold the delicate dill fawns through the mixture.

Place everything into a medium sized baking dish that has been lightly oiled (or use a non-stick baking dish), and cook for half an hour. Check the okra for tenderness after twenty minutes have elapsed, and every five minutes after that. If your pan of okra seems too dry add a couple of tablespoons of warm stock or water to the dish and continue cooking.

Once done remove from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes before serving. Leftovers will keep, well covered, in the fridge for two or three days, and reheat best in the oven.

Serves 4 as a side dish

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom