Okra ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
We're having friends over for dinner Friday nite; he's just been diagnosed with gout, is having an awful time of it. Anyway, one of the 'no-no's' on the gout diet is tomatoes. I'm cooking pecan crusted catfish with butter sauce, creamy grits, and was going to do an okra/tomato/corn kind of 'maque choux' dish also.

Anyone have any ideas on an okra side that doesn't have tomatoes in it??

How about this marmalady?

Okra Cassarole

6C. okra, cut up
3 eggs
1 1/2C. hushpuppy mix w/ onions
1 1/2tsp. pepper or to taste
1 1/2tsp. salt
1tsp. Accent(optional)
1 1/2C. sweet milk
12Tbsp. cooking oil

Mix all ingredients together & place in 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 375 deg. for 45 min-1 hour, or until lightly browned.

Marmalady, here is another version of fried Okra. It is pan fried and goes very well as a side dish.

Okra
4 tbsp of canola or any other light flavorless oil
1 tsp of cayanne pepper
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of cumin powder
salt and black pepper to taste

Cut the stems of the okra. Next cut them lengthwise right through the middle. Now divide each half into two. In short make 4 strips from each okra.

In a saute pan add the oil and once it's hot add the okra followed by garlic powder, cayanne, cumin salt and black pepper. Let the okra fry in the oil until it's nice and crisp (they will shrivel in size).

When they are dry remove them on a serving platter and grate some lemon zest over them. I also like to squeeze a tiny bit of lemon on them before serving.

So here's the 'okra succotash' I did -

Sauteed onion, garlic, diced green/red peppers, added sliced okra and corn, with spices of s/p, thyme, cayenne, bay; sauteed it til okra was tender, then aadded a little cream and let that thicken and cook down. Yum!

Back
Top Bottom