Olives, cooking with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I like olives, but have really only had them as a snack. I've had them also on pizza or sandwich, which I like.

I would like to try cooking with them, but I do not know the technique..

should I chop them up and saute like an onion?

I saw a tv show where the sort of Fried them whole.

To Me, olives are quite strong in flavor. Will cooked olives over-power the whole dish?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I use olives in red sauces, especially lasagne.

That and martinis is about the only place they get used in my house.

I usually add them towards the end of the cooking time and don't chop them as I think they are nice whole but it depends on the recipe to be fair. One thing though, I always make sure to remove the stones beforehand or buy stoned ones. Dentists are very expensive and I like my friends ;)

Nice website, GG! I recall eating some battered deep fried olives.

Wow, that website is a great find GG! I copied several recipes. The chicken dish with olives, lemon and capers looks especially good.

I love olives and often use black olives in Mexican cooking. When making tuna salad I always add diced stuffed green olives, so much nicer than pickles I think. Black olives on a pizza is a given.

Yeah, olives are great to add for a "flavor burst" to dishes, but IMO are too salty to be the focus.

A buddy of mine made this dish on New Year's Eve where he took pitted olives, and "wrapped" a layer of spicy Italian sausage around them to make meat balls, and then cooked them. Not normally my kind of thing, but damn was that tasty!

Enjoy! :) I'm not actually a big fan of olives, except for the oil-cured black olives I first had in Turkey. I snack on those occasionally, and put them on a Greek salad, but I don't cook with them.

The first time I made picadillo, I used a co-workers recipe. It was also the first time I had ever heard of olive condite. I'm not a big fan of raisins, so I subbed currents. The stuff is great over rice or as filling for empanadas.:yum:

The first time I made picadillo, I used a co-workers recipe. It was also the first time I had ever heard of olive condite. I'm not a big fan of raisins, so I subbed currents. The stuff is great over rice or as filling for empanadas.:yum:

I had never heard of Picadillo Craig and I'm interested in trying your recipe.
It sounds good to me except for the black raisins. I like golden raisins however so I'll use those.

Sliced olives are used in my house in Cheese balls, in tomato based sauces, in enchilada pie, in fresh salads, in gazpacho, and filled with cheese. They add a nice flavor to Italian style meatballs as well.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We use both green and black olives in cooking. Picadillo is one of the first to come to mind.
Classic Cuban-Style Picadillo Recipe - Allrecipes.com
There are many versions, check them out.

I was going to suggest this dish myself.

I don't care for the raisins either and just don't use them. I know raisins are traditional and my parents used raisins in their picadillo.
When I was a kid i would just pick them out. Today i just leave them out.

I had never heard of Picadillo Craig and I'm interested in trying your recipe.
It sounds good to me except for the black raisins. I like golden raisins however so I'll use those.

You can eliminate them altogether. But then they would not be traditional.
I care more about how the dish tastes and raisins IMO add nothing but another layer of bite/texture.
The olives and capers are the stars in picadillo.

I use Kalmata olives in my turkey burgers and when making my Greek Shrimp and Noodle dish. So good

I just remember a former work cafeteria made Croque Monsieur's ( grilled French toast, ham, turkey, melty cheese) and they added sliced black California olives on top of a thick béchamel sauce before adding the top slice of eggy bread and grilling. I also didn't realize that sauce was béchamel until I looked up how to spell CM and read some traditional / variable ingredients. I didn't see Olives aren't mentioned, but I remember I wish they would have added more of them.

One of the best salads I ever had was when we lived in the Bay Area. There was a little deli that made a black olive and parsley salad with an Italian dressing that was delicious! Chopped black olives, chopped up parsley and the dressing, that's it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom