"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Onion Gratin TNT

Fall is sneaking up on us as well as the Turkey day Thanksgiving.And I won't have all the bounty from my garden so I'm starting with a tasty side I hope you will like. take 4 large onions and cut them into 1/2 " slices then you will need 1 Cup of Jaelsburg cheese, 1 Cup of half and half, salt and pepper to your taste ground mace to taste. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil. Drop in the onion slices and cook til tender.about 12 min.The slices should seperateinto rings as they cook. Drain in colander. Preheat oven to 375. When onion rings cool enought to handle, arrange half of them in a shallow2-qt. baking dish that has been lightly buttered Sprinkle with salt,pepper,mace, and half of the cheese Place the rest of the rings over the top and Once again sprinkle with, salt,pepper,mace and.the remining cheese.Now drizzle with the cream and bake 25-30 min til the cheese melts and the cream bubbles. Place under the broiler a min or two til the cheese lightly browns if you wish. Enjoy
kades

Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks, Ma. i printed out a copy to try. I don't have mace, what seasoning would you recommend I use instead?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Thanks, Ma. i printed out a copy to try. I don't have mace, what seasoning would you recommend I use instead?
Hi Z, I'd use a little nutmeg or just maybe some garlic powder. Just a little or it could be left plain. Enjoy.
ma
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Executive Chef

This looks tasty. Is thanksgiving coming sooner to your neck of the woods than the rest of us. I TOO have TG on my mind. If I make some chicken with gravy this week, I was thinking about making stuffing/ dressing to go along with it. Just a little preview like yours.

However, I still have a good size hunk of Jarlsberg soooooooooo plans can change.

Mace is the outer thinner shell from the nutmeg nut. It's a little milder, which I prefer. Either is good.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Mace is the outer covering of the nutmeg "nut". The flavour is very similar, but more subtle. Use less nutmeg than the amount of mace called for.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Mmmm. Sounds yummy, Ma! Thanks!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Mace is the outer covering of the nutmeg "nut". The flavour is very similar, but more subtle. Use less nutmeg than the amount of mace called for.
My kids balk at mace but like nutmeg Go figure...but I use less nutmeg so it is lovely. I love Jarlsburg what flavor. I'm pooped right now have been baking all day. DH is working so I have the home and kitchen all to myself. I hoe you get a chance to try this it's so good, I got stuck with TG this year. since I was sick the last 2 the kids decreed it ma's stuffing and goodies day,
kades
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
This looks tasty. Is thanksgiving coming sooner to your neck of the woods than the rest of us. I TOO have TG on my mind. If I make some chicken with gravy this week, I was thinking about making stuffing/ dressing to go along with it. Just a little preview like yours.

However, I still have a good size hunk of Jarlsberg soooooooooo plans can change.

Mace is the outer thinner shell from the nutmeg nut. It's a little milder, which I prefer. Either is good.
I love Jarlsburg and I'm looking for more way's to use it.
kades
Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
For us Canucks it is only 5 weeks away!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
For us Canucks it is only 5 weeks away!
What are you planning Laurie. Turkey, duck,goose, chicken, red meat? It's gonna be turkey, home made stuffing made with home baked bread, 2 white and 1 wheat. chicken stock,celery, chopped, onion, chopped.mushrooms sauteed with the onions, celery, fresh chopped parsley, butter and the stock, salt and pepper what else you say, the onion gratin I posted today, my cranberry with oranges, pumpkin pie, for Cade, chocolate for the rest or the kids, apple, and chocolate pound cake. Not sure what else havent decided on the appies yet sooo another post will follow.
ma

Tags
onion