Onion pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanx!!!!

Thanks Rickell!!!!
I think i will know what to do, with that much information.
I cant wait to try this out.
Mel

Snoop Puss said:
Hi,
I've had a look around the Web for this as I'm intrigued. You might find this interesting:

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Rhus_cor.html

It has a Greek and Spanish name, so you and I might be in luck Ayrton.

Hey, Snoop Puss ...

Amazing that website, isn't it? Wouldn't have survived (to cook at least!) this long here without it.

Hadn't thought to look up sumac though. Aren't you clever?!

Mind you, can remember those trees in New York so rather doubt they're kicking around this far south. When I asked my hubby if he'd heard of "roudi" which is the Greek, he said "pomegranate" but that's "rodi" which is a whole different ballgame.

Still, I'll search! (Hoping our new friend Selma is going to grill her Athens contacts to find me a good Middle Eastern market!)

the secret to that Onion Pie is to caramelise the onions in butter for about 25 - 30 minutes, with a sprig of rosemary. then you can add them to your pissaladière ( Provençale onion tart) or your Flammenküche (Alsatian Onion tart) or just pile them on to a fresh lump of bread with a little Parmesan or Cheddar......

Thanks for bringing this up, folks. I lost my recipe for Alsatian Onion Torte years ago ( I think it was from a Gourmet book ), I think I need to make it again. Mine was Clive's caramelized onions, bacon, cream, but I'll be darned if I can remember if it had cheese or not. If it did, I'm thinking Gruyere. :)

cliveb said:
the secret to that Onion Pie is to caramelise the onions in butter for about 25 - 30 minutes, with a sprig of rosemary. then you can add them to your pissaladière ( Provençale onion tart) or your Flammenküche (Alsatian Onion tart) or just pile them on to a fresh lump of bread with a little Parmesan or Cheddar......

Caramelized onions. That one thing I'd have to have on a dessert island ...

I never heard of an Onion Pie. I am not a big onion lover but I do like the sweet onions to put on hamburgers and to use in some of my receipes.

Have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie

I do several crustless "quiches" as well - though I think of them more as baked frittatas - I use more eggs and less milk so they are quite firm. Nice hot or cold.

I did a tasty one recently with chopped leeks and spring onions [green/salad onions, maybe?] softened in a bit of butter then mixed with half a dozen eggs and a little bit of milk. I cannot remember if I added Parmesan though - I will have to make it again and find out!

Another has thawed and squeezed frozen chopped spinach, spring onions, cheddar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom