"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 08-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
Executive Chef
A few things to consider:

1) The sulfur present in onions gives them the sharp/hot taste/smell. This will vary from variety to variety, as well as from field to field, as some growing areas don't have a lot of sulfur in the soil. This is why Vidalia's are so sweet, the variety doesn't fix much sulfur into the flesh, and there's not a lot of sulfur present in the dirt around Vidalia, Georgia (or where ever they come from).

2) Make sure your knife is really, really, sharp. If your knife is dull, then you aren't cutting the onion so much as you're bruising it, and releasing more of the juices.

3) I refrigerate my onions. Keeping them cold really helps in not letting the juices evaporate into the air as you're cutting them.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
I'm originally from Georgia so I only buy Vidallias ;o) but as for odor, it helps if you peel the first few layers off under a running tap if you don't do that already. Also lighting a match can help burn off some of the odor as well.

a great use for onions is carmelizing them in balsamic vinegar, butter, garlic powder, and parsley. i use it as a condiment for black beans and yellow rice. taken together the three make a great meal.

you can also make a fabulous pork recipe with the onions, which my mom calls Cuban style pork. Just add the pork to the onions and more vinegar and garlic and let it cook covered in a skillet on the stove. it's great on a bed of yellow rice.

if you want the specifics let me know.

"In hindsight, adding extra flour was my way of sticking it to the man, and I stand by it."

--L upon adding 1 cup instead of 1 tbs to a chili recipe.
KeyLimePaige is offline   Reply With Quote