Onion ring gratin..rec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
We enjoy these with just about all meats, but grilled foods just seem to call this to the table, I like it with chicken, DH with steak and the kids don't care just make plenty:LOL:

Onion-ring gratin............Serves 8, my house 4:LOL:
4-lg. white or yellow onions cut into 1/2 in. slices
1-C. shredded Jar;sberg cheese
1-C. half and half
salt, pepper, either nutmeg or mace I use nutmeg
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Drop in the onion slices and cook til tender, I leave them tender but crisp..About 12 min. The slices will seperate as they cook. Drain. Preheat oven to 375. When onions are cool enough to handle, arrange about half of them in a shallow 2-qt. baking dish that has been lightly buttered. Sprinkle with salt,pepper and nutmeg or mace, and half of the shredded cheese. Arrange the remainng onions on top and once again sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg or mace and add the rest of the cheese. Drizzle cream over the top. Bake about 25 or 30 min. or til cheese melts and cream bubbles. Place under a hot broiler for a minute or two to lightly brown top if you wish...ENJOY
kadesma:)

Sounds nice!

I'm going to try this recipe Saturday night it sounds perfect as an accompanyment to a bar-b-cue (braai) - we're having a "potjie", which is a stew done in an iron pot over the fire or coals. It can be vegetarian or you can use any meat, but as it happens we're having oxtail.

I was trying to think of a good side dish and this sounds so good. Usually I would do a potatoe dish, but the potjie has potatoes in it. Of course, there will be something green - a fresh salad - it's not all meat and potatoes!

Was also going to make a pot bread (in a 5qt iron pot, also on the fire or in the oven), but instead decided to make rolls on the grill (rooster koek). My sister says it's okay to just buy the dough (a really good pizza parlour nearby will sell me some freshly made pizza dough).

You pinch of a golf-ball sized piece of dough, roll it lightly (having put a bit of olive oil on your hands), then lay it out on a lightly floured tray and cover with a dishcloth. I think I might drizzle a bit of finely chopped garlic and oil over the top. Let the rolls rise, and a few minutes before the potjie is ready, put the rolls on the grill. Serve with butter and (believe it or not) jam (apricot, rasberry, gooseberry) - actually, if I do the garlic thing, maybe just butter. -Sandyj

Sandyj said:
I'm going to try this recipe Saturday night it sounds perfect as an accompanyment to a bar-b-cue (braai) - we're having a "potjie", which is a stew done in an iron pot over the fire or coals. It can be vegetarian or you can use any meat, but as it happens we're having oxtail.

I was trying to think of a good side dish and this sounds so good. Usually I would do a potatoe dish, but the potjie has potatoes in it. Of course, there will be something green - a fresh salad - it's not all meat and potatoes!

Was also going to make a pot bread (in a 5qt iron pot, also on the fire or in the oven), but instead decided to make rolls on the grill (rooster koek). My sister says it's okay to just buy the dough (a really good pizza parlour nearby will sell me some freshly made pizza dough).

You pinch of a golf-ball sized piece of dough, roll it lightly (having put a bit of olive oil on your hands), then lay it out on a lightly floured tray and cover with a dishcloth. I think I might drizzle a bit of finely chopped garlic and oil over the top. Let the rolls rise, and a few minutes before the potjie is ready, put the rolls on the grill. Serve with butter and (believe it or not) jam (apricot, rasberry, gooseberry) - actually, if I do the garlic thing, maybe just butter. -Sandyj
Sandy, your meal sound so great. I'm glad you like the onion ring gratin, it's tasty and really pretty easy to make. Hope you enjoy it. I want to try your rooster koek, it reminds me of a bread we had at a hungarian place and I loved it. Will give it a try soon. I'm sure I can do the dough or buy some:) Thanks for sharing.
kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom