"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 09-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #11
Head Chef
I agree with Middie. Whenever I can I buy from local farmers/bakers. The growing season where I am is short so I do have to buy from large supermarket chains and not ready to pay the price for everything organic. Typically I am deprived of certain veggies and fruit during off season. Just can't bring myself to buy them.

elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #12
Senior Cook
A few years ago consumer reporter John Stossel made a statement that shocked me. He said a study showed organic food wasn't any better for you than non-organic. Eventually the truth came out; he had made that story up to fill up some air time.

It depends on who sets the standards for organic. The California organic act has some stringent standards. Not every product labeled organic outside of CA has abided by those standards. At www.mercola.com, Dr. Mercola warns that the organic food bought at Wal-Mart is not the same as organic foods bought at smaller, specialty markets. Go to the archives of mercola.com and read his comments. He also knocks Horizon milk which pictures a happy cow on the carton. He feels the growth of the organic industry has made room for those who are fraudulent in their growing practices (my phraseology, not his). And large stores, like Super Wal-Mart, carry foods that aren't truly organic because they require the farmer to sell to them at very low prices. The truth is that true organic farming is labor intensive. So in order to sell to Super Wal-Mart for a low price, compromises are made.

Truly grown organic fruits and veggies, eaten at their peak, are more flavorful than conventionally grown because they are more nutritious. An organic banana evokes memories of my childhood because the flavor is reminiscent of that era
before pesticides.

There is a technique in organic farming called companion planting. Certain plants are grown next to each other because they complement each other by acting as natural pesticide. companion planting is used to confuse insects, repel them or trap them. It is also used to make plants healthier. (Sara Rosenthal, Ph.D.) It is very interesting. I don't know how many in agriculture today are aware of these methods. In a perfect world farmers would return to these methods.

Green Lady is offline   Reply With Quote