Oven Baked Onion Rings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hey, has anyone ever tried oven baken onion rings? How does it turn out? I noticed that most recipes are pretty similar, some sort of wet bath and then crumbs of some sort.

I bought 2 walla walla onions that I want to make onion rings but for health reasons, dont want to deep fry. Was thinking of having oven baked chicken to go with it. :)

Ok I tried this last night. Took Walla Walla onions, cut dipped in egg whites and then in a mix of crumbs, paremsan cheese and black pepper. It was WONDERFUL!!! They don't have the exact taste of the deep fried rings, but I acually prefer them because I don't feel really guilty about eating it and I can have more! :ROFLMAO:

I cooked the rings in a 450 oven for 15 minutes.

I cut them about the size that you get in a restaurant.I'm very excited because I have a whole 1 1/2 onions left so I'm going to make a ton tonight! :pig:

Thanks htc - but I still need a tad clarification - only because of the cooking time. Would you say they are more 1/2" or 1" rounds. We have restaurants that do the super skinny and then the big huge fat ones (sorry to be a pain but I really want to make these).

No problem. :) I think it was closer to 1 inch. Play around and add herbs, I did that for some and think those turned out pretty good. Let me know how you like them. I love junk food, so am so happy when I can find a close healthy alternative!:LOL:

Well I think they taste better deep fried in some oil.

If you cook them at the right temperature very little oil will get soaked up by the onion rings.

I think anything tastes better when deep fried. :ROFLMAO: But for health and weight reasons, I have to find alternatives. hehehe Then I can pig out and eat more!

That sounds good, htc...think I'll give it a try. We love sweet onions just about any way, and like you, try to avoid fried foods.

Back
Top Bottom