"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-02-2005, 06:08 PM   #11
Head Chef

Found that if I take the wedges, toss them in the oil and spices, and then place them in a pan covered with aluminum foil for 45 minutes or so, and then take off the foil and let them brown I get a good result.

Or just cut them fairly small and cook without the foil. They have a thick crust, but sometimes just like them that way.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #12
Executive Chef

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._27098,00.html

Old 08-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I'm trying the egg white wash on some wedges tonight @425 degrees.

Details tomorrow.

Tom
Old 08-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Moved to Vegetable Forum - more recipe-related than technique.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Thumbs up Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomw
I'm trying the egg white wash on some wedges tonight @425 degrees...
Now this is the way to oven bake potatoes! My wife, and two preschoolers were asking for more.

I did deviate a bit from the original technique in that, to keep the sliced potatoes from turning brown, the pieces were kept in a bowl of lightly salted water. Even though they were thorougly drained before going through the egg wash, the extra water may have kept the egg from sticking as well. Not sure.

Also, I am not too fond of cooking sprays, so I coated the bottom of the pan with vegetable oil. 20 minutes into the cooking, the potatoes were visited by a metal spatula in an effort to dissuade sticking.

This side dish will definitely show up on our dinner table again!

Tom
Old 08-03-2005, 09:46 AM   #16
Sous Chef

So Tom - you did the fries:
-425F oven
-baking tray lined with foil, with a little oil to prevent sticking (I don't use the sprays either)
-coated potatoes with egg-whites and seasoning (I also tend to place potatoes in water so as not to brown - must remember to dry them, aye?)
-baked for 20 min? <---- really?
-potatoes cut into wedges? about the size of the thumb-knuckle to tip of thumb? 1 inch?

How many did you have on the baking sheet?

P.S. Saw the foodnetwork link - that's where I got the recipe from - a show on food network, but it seems to me the timing was off
also, visited your website. Wow. and your little boy is very cute!

Did I leave anything out? I wanted to do this last night, but got caught up with my kids - I have three daughters, two still teens, one just turned 21. Middle daughter going away to college soon so she's busy with the last flurry of summer activities with mates who are also going off to college - all three are friends with each others friends, so it was a houseful. They decided on a spur of the moment movie night. We did not eat properly! They had popcorn, toasted marshmallows, Chex Mix and S'Mores for dinner. There may have been some baby carrots involved. Sometimes it goes like that! Sandyj
Old 08-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #17
Sous Chef

BTW - thanks everyone for all the advice. I really am interested to read how others find good ways to do things like this. Sandyj
Old 08-03-2005, 10:09 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Ultimate oven fries

This is a long recipe. But does not take long to do. It is from Cooks Illustrated

3 russet potatoes (about 8 oz each), peeled
make wedges even sizes
5 Tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
salt and ground black pepper

1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position, heat oven to 475. Place potatoes in large bowl and over with hot tap water; soak 10 mins. Meanwhile, coat 18 by 12 in. heavy duty rimmed baking sheet with 4 Tbsp of oil sprinkle evenly with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper;set aside.
2. Drain potatoes. Spread out on triple layer of paper towels and thoroughly pat dry with additional paper towels. Rinse and wipe out now empty bowl; return potatoes to bowl and toss with remaining 1 Tbsp of oil. Arrange potatoes in single layer on prepared baking sheet; cover tightly with foil and bake 5 mins. Remove foil and continue to bake until bottoms of potatoes are spotty brown about 15 to 20 mins rotating baking sheet after 10 mins. Using metal spatula and tongs, scrape to loosen from pan and flip over keeping in single layer. Continue baking until fries are golden and crisp, 5 to 15 mins rotating as needed if fries are browning unevenly.
3.Transfer fries to second baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Note: Heavy duty baking sheet ensures pan will not warp during baking. Soaking potatoes in hot water prior to baking removes some of the surface sugar. Potato starches gelantinize completely during cooking. The water introduced during soaking improved the creaminess and smoothness by working its way between the strands of gelatin starch. Result....a fry that has a good surface crunch married to a smooth interior.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 AM   #19
Master Chef

That Cook's Illustrated recipe is a very good one!

But please, please line your baking sheet with foil. I ruined one the first time I made the recipe, as the oil in a 475 oven literally baked onto the cookie sheet.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyj
...-baked for 20 min? <---- really?
-potatoes cut into wedges? about the size of the thumb-knuckle to tip of thumb? 1 inch?

How many did you have on the baking sheet?
Actually, they baked for around 40 minutes total; Mr. Spatula checked on them around the halfway mark to make sure they weren't sticking.

None of the three, medium potatoes were cut any bigger than your rule-of-thumb , but since the Boyz seem to enjoy finding food in different shapes & sizes, no effort was made to produce a perfectly uniform product. The end result did fit on a medium cooking pan without anything touching.

Hope this helps!
Tom

Tags
None