Overwhelmed with Tomatoes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constance said:
Mmm, yum, Kadesma. That sounds very good. I'd love to have the recipe please!

Should I thaw some piecrust?
Yes Connie, I'm using a pie crust, I also am going to lightly salt and put the tomatoes on a rack to drip before baking them. I plan to coat the pie crust with dijon mustard,then scatter about 3/4 of a lb. of Gruyere cheese I'm gratting over the bottom, then I'm going to blot the tomatoes and layer them on top of the cheese sprinkle with the herbs, I'm using a mix of parsley, basil, thyme and a little bit of rosemary, then top that with salt, pepper and oh maybe 3-4 Tab. of parmesan you can use more or less as you like. And then give everything a light drizzle of evoo and bake...I bake at 375 til the top is light brown, in my oven it takes about 25 minutes.
This is fun and tasty and you can change the cheeses around as you want.
enjoy friend,
kadesma:)

Thank you friend...I'm salivating. Question: are you going to put it in a pie pan, or just lay it out on a baking sheet and fold the sides up like a galette?

Constance said:
Thank you friend...I'm salivating. Question: are you going to put it in a pie pan, or just lay it out on a baking sheet and fold the sides up like a galette?
I'm using a 9 inch tart pan, but a pie pan would work too. I don't trust my crust as a galette and the last thing I need is to chase tomatoes around the oven:LOL: But that would be a really pretty way to present this. As a galette, not chasing them

kadesma:)

Dice them up into Western &/or Spanish omelettes. Be very British, & saute slices of them to serve alongside breakfast eggs. Halve them, top with breadcrumbs & grated cheese, & broil to serve as a dinnertime vegetable/garnish.

There are literally hundreds of ways to use fresh tomatoes. If you do a websearch you'll probably run out of tomatoes before you do recipes - lol!!!!

jennyema said:
Do you use a special dehydrator or the oven?

My oven won't go as low as 125 ...

I cut the tomatoes in half, sprinkle with plenty of sea salt, place on a baking sheet and dry in the oven at 200º overnight. Usually takes 8-10 hours and I can do about 2-3 kilos at a time.

Got a grill? Make some smoked tomato chutney. 1 kg tomatoes, cut in halves,
400 gms onion, cut in halves, 500 gms brown sugar, 250 mls vinegar, a tbsp of chipoltle chile in adobo, 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp cumin, salt. Grill the tomatoes and onions on the grill until you get nice black marks on them. Set aside.
Place all the other ingredients in a large stainless steel pan. Roughly chop the tomatoes and onions and add them to the pan. Bring to a boil and cook for about 25-30 minutes until you get a thickish chutney. Bottle in sterilised jars and water bath for 20 minutes. Great with anything grilled! Wonderful with cheddar cheese sandwiches.

Also, found these recipes for Tomato Pies in my own files. Some similar ones, so I mix them up and use the best of what I want when I make them.

Lee

Hot Tomato pie

1-(5-count) can biscuits
1-med onion chopped red or yellow
2-tea. veggie oil
2- large tomatoes, sliced thin, he used the smaller romas and put in about 5-6 of them he likes it thicker.
1-tea. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/3-c. mayo
1/2-c. each shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese

Press the biscuits into the bottom and sides of a greased 9 in. pie pan for the crust. Saute onion in the oil til tender. Layer the onions and tomatoe into the pie tin. Sprinkle with chili powder,salt and pepper. Combine mayo cheddar and mozzarella cheeses in bowl and mix well. Spread this over the top of the tomatoe and onions..Bake at 350 for 30-35 min..Let stand about 10 min then serve..
serves 6

kadesma

Tomato Pie Recipe

Lone Star
2212 State Park Road
Santee, SC 29142
803-854-2000

Serves approximately 15 people as a side dish

Ingredients:

10 Medium, ripe tomatoes, washed, cored, and sliced
1 ¼ C Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 C Mayonnaise, “Dukes” preferred for this recipe
1 Tbs. Onion, grated or minced fine
15 slices “day old” bread
Salt & pepper to taste – Kosher salt best to use

The ingredients and method for this recipe are very simple. Thanks to Sara Davis of Charleston for the original recipe from which this one was derived.

1. Prepare cheese spread by combining mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, and grated onion. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
2. Grease a 9” x 12” casserole dish with butter, olive oil, or pan spray. Layer the bottom evenly with 7 slices of the bread cut into medium sized cubes.
3. Create a layer of tomatoes, by overlapping them in “shingle” fashion the length of the casserole. (It is important to use the freshest and ripest you can find). Usually a casserole will require 4 rows using 5 medium-sized tomatoes, give or take, depending on the size of the tomatoes. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
4. Trim crusts away from remaining 8 slices of bread and arrange them on top so that they cover the entire surface area of the tomatoes.
5. Spread the slices with the cheddar cheese spread. Cover well but don’t be tempted to use too much or the “pie” may become soggy. Reserve some for step
6. Arrange the remaining tomatoes in the same manner as before. We like to reserve the nicest looking tomato slices for the top. Season again with salt and pepper.
7. Dollop the rest of the cheese mixture in rows across the top, or in whatever design you like.
8. Bake your casserole, uncovered, in an oven preheated to 375°F for approximately 25 minutes, or until the cheese mixture becomes golden brown. It is now ready to serve.

Options: This tomato pie can be dressed up with the addition of fresh herbs to the cheese mixture. Try basil, marjoram, or oregano. It can also be baked in a pre-cooked pie shell, homemade or otherwise, only omit the bread and be sure to blot your tomato slices with a dry towel first.

Tomato Pie

Serves: 4 to 6

Ingredients:

• 1 recipe of your favorite pie crust
  • or frozen prepared pie crust for one 9 inch (25 cm) pie
  • 4 to 6 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) roughly chopped basil leaves
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 - 1/2 cup (375 ml) mayonnaise
  • 1 - 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar, Monterey Jack, or cheese of your choice
Bake the pie crust empty in a 350F (180C) oven for 10 minutes, then allow to cool. Place a layer of tomato slices in the bottom, sprinkle with some of the basil, and add salt and pepper to taste. Repeat until the pie is filled to about 1/2 inch (1 cm) to 1/4 inch (5 mm) of the rim. Mix the mayonnaise and cheese together and spoon over the tomatoes, spreading it evenly over the contents of the pie. Bake in a 350F (180C) oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Stuffed Tomatoes:

2 cans Italian tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
1 can artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, a couple of handfuls, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, a handful
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and pepper
6 vine ripe tomatoes, red, yellow, or mixed

Stuff hollowed tomatoes with stuffing.

Smoked Stuffed Tomatoes

I made this for dinner last night and was quite pleased with the
results. It came out with a nice smoky flavor and the filling was
great. The changes I made, just can't resist, I added bacon and
doubled the garlic and oregano and chopped up a jalapeno and put in
it.

joe

Smoked Stuffed Tomatoes

Recipe By : Cookshack
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------
--------------------------------
3 Large Firm Tomatoes
6 Ounces Artichoke Hearts - Marinated
10 Ounces Frozen Spinach -- Chopped
5 Green Onion -- Chopped
8 Ounces Cream Cheese -- Room Temperature
2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese -- Grated
Salt And Pepper -- To Taste
Bread Crumbs -- Dried

Cut tomatoes in half down the stem side. Cut out stems and scoop out
all pulp and seeds. Dry inside and out with paper towels. Sprinkle
salt and pepper into each half.

Drain and chop artichoke hearts. Squeeze all moisture from chopped
spinach. Chop green onions. Combine chopped ingredients with cream
cheese, sour cream, oregano, and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and stuff
each tomato half heaping full. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.

Place tomato halves on smoker rack and smoke for 30 to 40 minutes at
225 degrees or until done to your liking. Do not over cook.
Tomatoes should be still somewhat firm to the touch so they don't
fall apart after cooking.

Recommended wood for smoking: Hickory

Constance -- I'd kill to be in your position! Can you advise growing tips? My hubby tried one year and whatever disease didn't get, the dog ate (odd what she likes -- right off the vine!).

As for what to do with them, make a passata out of them and reduce as much as you're comfortable with, then freeze them in ice cube trays. It's a handy way to use them and easy to store.

I just canned 20qts of tomtoes and have 20 more qts to do and then I am going to try making the dried tomatoes. Thanks for all the good recipes here for different uses.

My SIL makes her taco meat using a beef roast, any kind, 2 tomatoes, garlic, an onion, salt and pepper. Slow cook for 8 - 10 hours. The meat falls apart and you have meat for tacos or burritos. It's really good and simple.

La Tomatina in your backyard!!

I already suggested this to GB who was also faced with similar situation... don't you think this would be fun?:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

img_314166_0_7f6aa0d2854bb3e64b13e8358b5baa9f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom