Panko & Parm Asparagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
39817-albums888-picture5938.jpg
Baked w/ panko & graded parm. Bake@ 450 for 10-15 min. Flour then egg and a mix of 50-50 panko & cheese.

Can I put an order in with a bottle of your sauce to go on the side?
Purdy please? Those look great!

Those parm and panko asparagus look great! Great time to try them while asparagus is a bit cheaper.

I am SO making this. :yum: I just bought a pound of asparagus and have everything else to make it. Thanks for sharing, Joey!

I don't understand this--I love steamed asparagus--that's how I grew up eating it and that is, to me, the best way to eat asparagus. I like to nibble on it raw walking home from harvesting wild asparagus. I just can't bring myself to do anything other than steam it and eat it. Interesting, but there is a part of me that says "why would you do that to asparagus when it is so very good steamed al dente?"

I don't understand this--I love steamed asparagus--that's how I grew up eating it and that is, to me, the best way to eat asparagus. I like to nibble on it raw walking home from harvesting wild asparagus. I just can't bring myself to do anything other than steam it and eat it. Interesting, but there is a part of me that says "why would you do that to asparagus when it is so very good steamed al dente?"

Simply because it's something different.

Simply because it's something different.

Exactly. :) I grew up on steamed asparagus too, and like it, but when I roasted it the first time, I was hooked. I also love it grilled, marinated and chilled, in asparagus soup, in omelettes....etc. If I had the opportunity to pick some fresh and munch on it, I'm sure I would love that as well.

Just like I wouldn't want to have strictly meatloaf every time I pull some ground beef out of the freezer, or only fried chicken whenever I defrost a bird. Thankfully, there are so many great ideas on this forum! :) :yum:

S&P - looks awesome! A couple of questions. I have seen another recipe where they used on the egg white. Do you use the whole egg? Just be sure - you bake it after the breading - correct?

Hal

S&P - looks awesome! A couple of questions. I have seen another recipe where they used on the egg white. Do you use the whole egg? Just be sure - you bake it after the breading - correct?

Hal
I use a whole egg and bake @450 till browned and crispy.

I like asparagus most any way you can make them.
Tossed with EVOO salt pepper and a super hot grill taking first place for me.

I also will try this dish. Thanks S&P.

I saw this done on either America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country, using the egg whites and panko crumbs. Looked interesting but....

Sorry, I also thought why they would cover the flavor of fresh asparagus at this time of the year. Love it steamed, also love to have it hit boiling water for less than a minute and shock it in ice water, drain, and use it on a fresh veggie tray.

I might try that with out of season asparagus but right now it's fresh steamed only here.

Here are some other ways to eat asparagus.

A Few Bunches of Asparagus, 5 Dinners - Easy Weeknight Cooking

I typically don't buy asparagus--only forage for it. I am going tomorrow afternoon with a friend on her back 40. There are several patches. Should I get enough to grow tired of it steamed, I will possibly grill some and top with a poached egg (I rather doubt that will be the case).

Thank you so much for this. :clap:

Asparagus is great no matter how it's fixed. :yum:

I usually grill it with a little EVOO & S&P. Steamed is lovely too. ;)

But I'm going to try this because it just sounds really tasty. :D

I'll bet it's even a good way to fix canned asparagus. I know, I know. Who get canned asparagus? Well I did awhile ago because the price was right. :rolleyes:

Hal

Going to try egg whites tonight, I'll let you know how they come out.

Egg whites did a better job of coating the panko, crispy outside and tender inside.
For those of you who only eat steamed, you don't know what your missing. I eat them so many different ways and the are always tasty. When I pick a batch, I boil them for 1 minute, then shock them in ice water and finally seal them in the food saver. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom