"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Master Chef

Peeling Turnips?

I've never been a fan of peeling vegetables. Rarely, if ever, peel potatoes or carrots - just give them a good scrubbing.

For some reason though, I've always peeled turnips, but now wonder if that's necessary. I'm not talking about the large waxed rutabagas, which you really have to peel to get rid of that waxed skin, but the small purple-top white turnips.

To peel or not to peel, that is the question.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Master Chef

I generally peel all root vegetables (except for potatoes depending on how they will be used) especially if they have fine hair roots on them. I have an adversion to flossing with the food I'm eating.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Pretty much the same as Michael, except if I'm making a soup or stew I generally don't peel my potatoes or carrots. I peel white potatoes for mashed unless I want "dirty" mashed potatoes. Usually always peel turnips.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I've peeled every turnip I have ever eaten. However the prospect of trying one not peeled is interesting.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
Master Chef

Well, since I was making roasted vegetables to go with my roast chicken, I decided to give unpeeled turnips a try, especially since they were small & fresh. I just cut off the stem & root ends & quartered them. And they were just fine that way.

I'm thinking that if they were larger/older I still might peel them, but I guess their condition plus the cooking method (roasting) made the peeling unnecessary.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I have usually peeled turnips - don't eat them very often tho. Along the same lines, I spent a good 20 minutes trying to peel an acorn squash today. A few skinned knuckles and sore forearms later, I wondered if I really needed to peel it or if there was a better way. I was thinking, next time I'm getting a butternut squash - no ridges! I was making squash soup. What do you think - peel or no peel?

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
Head Chef

On the farm we grew turnips and us kids would pull and eat the turnips right in the field
who needs a peeler when your a half mile from the house.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I agree that if the turnips are young and small then they don't need to be peeled. Older larger turnips probably should be peeled. Try cooking them unpeeled and see how they turn out. Most of the goodness is supposed to be just under the skin.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Master Chef

Healthyfoodie - I know what you mean. I once nearly severed a finger just trying to halve an acorn. Still have the scar after over 30 years!

If I were you, I'd probably halve & then oven roast that squash until just tender, then just scoop out the softened flesh for your soup. (I believe you can also microwave it, but that's something I've never personally tried.) Oven-roasting winter squashes for soup works quite well - the flesh remains dry & sweet, & is then super easy to blend with your other ingredients.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I never peel my turnips no matter what size they are for two reasons. One, they taste the same large or small and two, not everyone likes turnips and the purple hue easliy distinguishes them from the potatoes.

Tags
None