Pepper Mash/ Pickled Peppers/ Aging them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
okay i finally decided to go through with this. my goal is to let these peppers age for like a month or so to develop some character and then use this as a food condiment. will you please tell me if i did this right or if this is feasible.

Okay i made some mash, tell me if i did it right please. I chopped up like 7 habaneros into fine pieces, then dusted them with kosher salt.
then i put them in a clean jar. i covered them with some white wine vinegar that says 7% acidity. I completely covered the peppers with it, they appear to be floating, but i just filled it up until they were completely covered no more.
i then put the jar in a pot of boiling water, just sitting on it, for like 5-7 minutes
i threw the lid in the same boiling water.
i then put the lid on top with a fork, and took water off boiler.
i let cool then tightly closed the lid, and put it in a dark cubbard.
is this ok?
is 7% acidity ok?
did i use too much vinegar?

Mylegsbig said:
okay i finally decided to go through with this. my goal is to let these peppers age for like a month or so to develop some character and then use this as a food condiment. will you please tell me if i did this right or if this is feasible.

Okay i made some mash, tell me if i did it right please. I chopped up like 7 habaneros into fine pieces, then dusted them with kosher salt.
then i put them in a clean jar. i covered them with some white wine vinegar that says 7% acidity. I completely covered the peppers with it, they appear to be floating, but i just filled it up until they were completely covered no more.
i then put the jar in a pot of boiling water, just sitting on it, for like 5-7 minutes
i threw the lid in the same boiling water.
i then put the lid on top with a fork, and took water off boiler.
i let cool then tightly closed the lid, and put it in a dark cubbard.
is this ok?
is 7% acidity ok?
did i use too much vinegar?

I do the same sort of thing but put the lid on BEFORE it goes in the water bath. That way you'll create a vacuum between the chillies and the lid. I'd cook for 20 minutes, not 7.

HOWEVER I pickle my chiles for home use without any water bath. Clean peppers, warm up the vinegar, add a little onion, peppercorns - and put the lid on.
I've been doing it for 30 years and never had any problem. 7% acidity is fine.

cliveb, friend, do you drain the chiles when you are done?

or do the chiles kind of melt into the vinegar solution making that impossible? i minced the chilies as i would mince garlic.

I want to use this as i use a hotsauce,

Mylegsbig said:
cliveb, friend, do you drain the chiles when you are done?

or do the chiles kind of melt into the vinegar solution making that impossible? i minced the chilies as i would mince garlic.

I want to use this as i use a hotsauce,

Drain them? No , I pickle them whole and I eat them whole. The vinegar seems to take away some of the bite. They're delish!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom