Peppers, peppers, and more peppers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you could always make a big pack and ship them to me so I can saute them with some Vadalia onions. Trust me, not one bite will go to waste! :yum:

I'd send you some of mine, if I had them to send. :(

I am hopping I will have a surge in the fall, when the temps cool down a bit. That happened last year -- my pepper plants went nuts in September and October last year.

I can send you one of my Chernobyl mutant cayenne peppers. They look just like any other cayenne pepper, but they are over six inches long, and a half inch around. :ohmy: :LOL:

I need to post a picture of one.

CD

Last edited:
I'd send you some of mine, if I had them to send. :(

I am hopping I will have a surge in the fall, when the temps cool down a bit. That happened last year -- my pepper plants went nuts in September and October last year.

I can send you one of my Chernobyl mutant cayenne peppers. They look just like any other cayenne pepper, but they are over six inches long, and a half inch around. :ohmy: :LOL:

I need to post a picture of one.

CD

Oh my goodness. They sound like heaven. We love to put peppers and Vidalia onions on almost everything we cook up. A pot of rice? Add a heap of onions and peppers. A frittata? Peppers and onions will improve it ten fold. And the option of the different colors of the peppers only add major interest to the dish.

I think the only ones we don't like are the standard green peppers. They have always tasted somewhat bitter to my whole family,

I told a friend about these mass amount of banana peppers and said person went Pepper mustard!!

I have no recipe for it and she doesnt either, but it what she made every year when she lived in Texas.

Since we’re talking about peppers, may I ask what the big deal is with Hatch peppers? Nearly every supermarket has big marquis signs announcing that “Hatch Chiles Are Here!” And most of them have a big drum outside they store, in which I assume they’re roasted.

I did read a bit about them. People call them “smoky” and their heat level seems to vary. There are also other peppers marketed as “Hatch chiles,” but really aren’t.

I never even noticed these until this year! Maybe they just slipped under my radar. But they seem to be “trending.”

I’m sure they can be prepared any way that other chiles are prepared: raw, roasted, stuffed, dried... What recipes do you know that favor Hatch chiles, and why use them instead of any other chile?

Last edited:
Since we’re talking about peppers, may I ask what the big deal is with Hatch peppers? Nearly every supermarket has big marquis signs announcing that “Hatch Chiles Are Here!” And most of them have a big drum outside they store, in which I assume they’re roasted.

I did read a bit about them. People call them “smoky” and their heat level seems to vary. There are also other peppers marketed as “Hatch chiles,” but really aren’t.

I never even noticed these until this year! Maybe they just slipped under my radar. But they seem to be “trending.”

I’m sure they can be prepared any way that other chiles are prepared: raw, roasted, stuffed, dried... What recipes do you know that favor Hatch chiles, and why use them instead of any other chile?
This is a result of excellent marketing by the State of New Mexico [emoji38] Hatch chiles are only grown in Hatch, New Mexico, so they have some local cachet. The Whole Foods in Virginia Beach has a roaster and they sell roasted Hatch chiles flown here from NM.

Anaheim and Fresno peppers are the same cultivar grown in other places. I don't think the flavor is different enough to make a big deal about.

I've grown both Anaheims and Fresnos. You have to roast and peel them because the skins are tough and inedible. You can use them make a nice salsa for tacos, etc. I love to make posole verde in the winter with my green chiles (whatever I have), along with jalapeños. It's delicious.

Beth lives in NM and buys roasted Hatch chiles by the case, so maybe she'll see this and comment more.

I told a friend about these mass amount of banana peppers and said person went Pepper mustard!!

I have no recipe for it and she doesnt either, but it what she made every year when she lived in Texas.

I've never heard of pepper mustard. But, Texas is very big, and the foods are very regional. I'll have to check it out.

CD

I have never in my life eaten a Hatch chili, in any form. No reason, I just haven't had the opportunity. Maybe I need to buy some, if I can find them, and give them a try.

CD

We grew annaheim peppers, which are hatch peppers not grown in Hatch! So now I asked a member to send me some hatch chili pepper seeds so I could grow them one generation out. I have lots of them growing now.
thank you for those pepper seeds! god bless you. you know who you are.

Anyways, anneheims and hatch have thick skins and have to be peeled, they have thick flesh.

They are delightful, mild, medium or hot.

Up here in the midwest, in WI, we don't have 'hatch chili pepper' sales or even advertisement. We've never heard of them here.

We grew annaheim peppers, which are hatch peppers not grown in Hatch! So now I asked a member to send me some hatch chili pepper seeds so I could grow them one generation out. I have lots of them growing now.

Anyways, anneheims and hatch have thick skins and have to be peeled, they have thick flesh.

Up here in the midwest, in WI, we don't have 'hatch chili pepper' sales or even advertisement. We've never heard of them here.

Climate and weather make a pretty significant difference in pepper flavors and heat. My peppers are always pretty weak in May, but are often scorchers in September.

I wonder how Hatch chilis grown in WI compare to the same peppers grown in NM.

CD

I've never heard of pepper mustard. But, Texas is very big, and the foods are very regional. I'll have to check it out.

CD

She said it was the only cookbook left behind when she divorced and moved to Sweden and her ex doesnt want to give to her out of spite.. She said the cookbook was from 1970.

Huh. Who knew? I'm growing the famous Hatch (aka Anaheim) here along the river! I'll need to “Hatchify” them.

Uuuhhhh!
I love Hatch Chiles!
Sorry, but I do find a difference in them.
I like to use them for Rellenos :yum:
Fresh is best, but canned will do.
View attachment 30988
I use the canned for my Chicken Enchiladas,
View attachment 30989
as well as Hatch Chile Sauce
I prefer the "medium" over mild, more kick ;)

JJ, try them!

I didn't say there was no difference - just that they're not different enough to justify the cult following they have [emoji38] Advertising is effective - that's why there's so much of it.

Last edited:
Climate and weather make a pretty significant difference in pepper flavors and heat. My peppers are always pretty weak in May, but are often scorchers in September.

I wonder how Hatch chilis grown in WI compare to the same peppers grown in NM.

CD
We'll find out! I'm hoping they aren't horrifyingly hot, but we'll see.

Here, we bottle peppers in olive oil, after softening them in olive oil. It works wonderfully, and you can use them just as if they were 'fresh'. In fact, the bottling method, and gives great results. We are already bottling our fruit - apricot, apples, and many other types of vegetables. Peaches come next. We don't do grapes because we can take them off the vines as and when we need them - they're all around as far as the eye can see.

This is just a taste of Italy!

Ciao ciao from di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Well, it turns out I probably won’t be enjoying freshly roasted Hatch chiles this season. The supermarket that is most active on promoting them only sells them in big boxes of 25 pounds that they’ll roast on-site for you all for only $19.99 USD. Now, I think that’s a great price. But even if I followed every single piece of advice on this thread, I still wouldn’t be done with them! And never having tried them, knowingly, why would I buy such an abundance if there was a chance I didn’t like them?

I’ll try the non-Hatch Anaheims. (Or I could ask the produce manager if a few ever “”fall” out of the boxes, and does he put them on the shelf...)

Do any of you ever serve just onions and/or peppers as a veggie? Growing up my kids loved the fried onion on the side of the plate when served as a side veggie. They weren't very fond of the green pepper, but loved all the colored ones also. Quite often I would mix the two as one.

Fortunately, for me onions never made me tear up.

Back
Top Bottom