"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well, you could always make a big pack and ship them to me so I can saute them with some Vadalia onions. Trust me, not one bite will go to waste!
I'd send you some of mine, if I had them to send.

I am hopping I will have a surge in the fall, when the temps cool down a bit. That happened last year -- my pepper plants went nuts in September and October last year.

I can send you one of my Chernobyl mutant cayenne peppers. They look just like any other cayenne pepper, but they are over six inches long, and a half inch around.

I need to post a picture of one.

CD

Old 08-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I'd send you some of mine, if I had them to send.

I am hopping I will have a surge in the fall, when the temps cool down a bit. That happened last year -- my pepper plants went nuts in September and October last year.

I can send you one of my Chernobyl mutant cayenne peppers. They look just like any other cayenne pepper, but they are over six inches long, and a half inch around.

I need to post a picture of one.

CD
Oh my goodness. They sound like heaven. We love to put peppers and Vidalia onions on almost everything we cook up. A pot of rice? Add a heap of onions and peppers. A frittata? Peppers and onions will improve it ten fold. And the option of the different colors of the peppers only add major interest to the dish.

I think the only ones we don't like are the standard green peppers. They have always tasted somewhat bitter to my whole family,

Old 08-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #23
Head Chef

I told a friend about these mass amount of banana peppers and said person went Pepper mustard!!

I have no recipe for it and she doesnt either, but it what she made every year when she lived in Texas.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
I told a friend about these mass amount of banana peppers and said person went Pepper mustard!!

I have no recipe for it and she doesnt either, but it what she made every year when she lived in Texas.
This sounds like a good recipe: https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/s...r-mustard.html
Old 08-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #25
Head Chef

Since we’re talking about peppers, may I ask what the big deal is with Hatch peppers? Nearly every supermarket has big marquis signs announcing that “Hatch Chiles Are Here!” And most of them have a big drum outside they store, in which I assume they’re roasted.

I did read a bit about them. People call them “smoky” and their heat level seems to vary. There are also other peppers marketed as “Hatch chiles,” but really aren’t.

I never even noticed these until this year! Maybe they just slipped under my radar. But they seem to be “trending.”

I’m sure they can be prepared any way that other chiles are prepared: raw, roasted, stuffed, dried... What recipes do you know that favor Hatch chiles, and why use them instead of any other chile?
Old 08-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Since we’re talking about peppers, may I ask what the big deal is with Hatch peppers? Nearly every supermarket has big marquis signs announcing that “Hatch Chiles Are Here!” And most of them have a big drum outside they store, in which I assume they’re roasted.

I did read a bit about them. People call them “smoky” and their heat level seems to vary. There are also other peppers marketed as “Hatch chiles,” but really aren’t.

I never even noticed these until this year! Maybe they just slipped under my radar. But they seem to be “trending.”

I’m sure they can be prepared any way that other chiles are prepared: raw, roasted, stuffed, dried... What recipes do you know that favor Hatch chiles, and why use them instead of any other chile?
This is a result of excellent marketing by the State of New Mexico Hatch chiles are only grown in Hatch, New Mexico, so they have some local cachet. The Whole Foods in Virginia Beach has a roaster and they sell roasted Hatch chiles flown here from NM.

Anaheim and Fresno peppers are the same cultivar grown in other places. I don't think the flavor is different enough to make a big deal about.

I've grown both Anaheims and Fresnos. You have to roast and peel them because the skins are tough and inedible. You can use them make a nice salsa for tacos, etc. I love to make posole verde in the winter with my green chiles (whatever I have), along with jalapeños. It's delicious.

Beth lives in NM and buys roasted Hatch chiles by the case, so maybe she'll see this and comment more.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Uuuhhhh!
I love Hatch Chiles!
Sorry, but I do find a difference in them.
I like to use them for Rellenos
Fresh is best, but canned will do.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green chile chicken enchiladas.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	30988
I use the canned for my Chicken Enchiladas,
Click image for larger version

Name:	EnchiladaSauce.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	30989
as well as Hatch Chile Sauce
I prefer the "medium" over mild, more kick

JJ, try them!
Old 08-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post

I've never heard of pepper mustard. But, Texas is very big, and the foods are very regional. I'll have to check it out.

CD
Old 08-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I have never in my life eaten a Hatch chili, in any form. No reason, I just haven't had the opportunity. Maybe I need to buy some, if I can find them, and give them a try.

CD
Old 08-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #30
Executive Chef

We grew annaheim peppers, which are hatch peppers not grown in Hatch! So now I asked a member to send me some hatch chili pepper seeds so I could grow them one generation out. I have lots of them growing now.
thank you for those pepper seeds! god bless you. you know who you are.

Anyways, anneheims and hatch have thick skins and have to be peeled, they have thick flesh.

They are delightful, mild, medium or hot.

Up here in the midwest, in WI, we don't have 'hatch chili pepper' sales or even advertisement. We've never heard of them here.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pepper, peppers