Peppers, peppers, and more peppers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Having a banner pepper year in the garden, primarily Italian Sweet Frying Peppers.

Ive already marinated a bunch and grilled and froze bunch for future use.

My question is, what else can I do with a mass amount of peppers that would store really well?

thanks
larry

Canning them would give you another long term storage option.

Cook them lightly then bottle them - or can them - in good quality EVOO, garlic and salt. The pieces that, in my humble opinion, should be the pieces of pepper cut top to bottom, following the lines that outline the pepper - usually 4 pieces. I preserve them in glass, but that's just the way we do them here, I like looking at them on the shelf waiting to be used!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I'd pickle them. They'd also be good pickled with whatever other peppers, sweet or hot, you might have.

There is banana peppers ketchup, a former friends grandmother used to make it and then you could make ajvar relish with it.

Cook them lightly then bottle them - or can them - in good quality EVOO, garlic and salt. The pieces that, in my humble opinion, should be the pieces of pepper cut top to bottom, following the lines that outline the pepper - usually 4 pieces. I preserve them in glass, but that's just the way we do them here, I like looking at them on the shelf waiting to be used!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

In the United States, it's not considered a safe practice to bottle or can items with garlic in oil. It's almost impossible to kill all the botulinum spores that way.

Having a banner pepper year in the garden, primarily Italian Sweet Frying Peppers.

My question is, what else can I do with a mass amount of peppers that would store really well?

thanks
larry

Glad to hear of your bonanza! I'm not doing as well... in Texas, of all places.

For my seasoning peppers, like cayenne and jalapeños, I freeze them on a tray, then vacuum seal them, and put them back in the freezer. When thawed, they are not as firm and crisp, obviously, but neither are pickled peppers. But, the taste in my foods is identical.

I freeze them before I vacuum seal them because it keeps them from being squeezed, and losing water.

I use them all winter long just as I would fresh peppers.

CD

Glad to hear of your bonanza! I'm not doing as well... in Texas, of all places.

For my seasoning peppers, like cayenne and jalapeños, I freeze them on a tray, then vacuum seal them, and put them back in the freezer. When thawed, they are not as firm and crisp, obviously, but neither are pickled peppers. But, the taste in my foods is identical.

I freeze them before I vacuum seal them because it keeps them from being squeezed, and losing water.

I use them all winter long just as I would fresh peppers.

CD
I've done this too. Use in salsa or other sauces.

Do you guys not freeze peppers? We have frozen from last summer in our freezer.

Russ

Freezing peppers is great if you are maintaining a freezer and you have room. The electric for maintaining a freezer (or two) can be expensive year to year. I'm moving over to canned for peppers this year.

And I'd like to mention, we are having a banner year with two kinds of peppers. The california wonders (I have 25 on the kitchen table and more on the plants) and the hatch chili peppers (I have 30 or so on the plants). I can't wait to can them.

thanks
larry
Drying them? Make pasta sauce, etc., and freeze it.

Last edited:
I didn't know freezers were expensive to run. I've got 2 fridge freezer units and 2 large chest freezers.

Russ

Well, you could always make a big pack and ship them to me so I can saute them with some Vadalia onions. Trust me, not one bite will go to waste! :yum:

I didn't know freezers were expensive to run. I've got 2 fridge freezer units and 2 large chest freezers.

Russ

If you have an old freezer (1992 or older) they can cost $250-$300 per year, multiply that by 5 years and you've spent $1250-1500.

Newer freezers are more energy efficient so the initial cost is more for you to buy it but then they may only cost $100 per year to run.

Chest freezers cost less to run than upright freezers.

Side-by-side refrigerator/freezers are more expensive to run than an upper or lower freezer on a refrigerator/freezer combination.

If you have a combination of old and new chest freezers and fridge freezer units, 4 of them, you could be spending $1000 per year just for the electricity.

If I can turn off just one of my freezers, the old one, and save $300/year, that's a lot of canning supplies and canned food doesn't cost electricity once it is stored.

Back
Top Bottom