Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
Executive Chef

A pinch of white pepper....

Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Lately I have been stirring in sour cream with soft butter, no milk. Mostly because I bought a huge container of sour cream. Pretty good.
Oh yum! I will have to try that next time.

I use any spud available. Boil them peeled & cubed, use the hand masher while adding warm milk mixed with melted butter. Usually season with garlic, basil, dill & a little pinch of chili powder. And then proceed to devour them like my life depends on it, not giving myself enough time to ponder the difference in taste between various potato varieties.

In the end I think it comes down to technique more than potato type. I've had different types of potatoes in various restaurants and they all can be amazing.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I usually just use milk and butter in my mashed potaoes. I've tried sour cream, cream cheese, various other flavorings, but always come back to the way my mother and her mother before her made them.
We like flavoring our mashed potatoes with gravy
Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
Executive Chef

+ 3 for gravy. Good Gravy. I know Chief is looking for a more perfect texture or flavor. I don't have that discerning palatte. I don't prefer too lumpy, too smooth, too gluey, and as Charlie D goes no skins. "Brrrr" must have sent a chill up his back

I can handle the skin on mashed, and a few lumps, at least they are real. I didn't say I turn up my nose at garlic mashed taters in restaurants, just that they are so prevalent on menus.

One thing I like to do at home is if serving corn or peas, combine a little of the vegetable per forkful of potato. Both are a good combo for me anyway.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I heat the milk and add the butter to that. I often use 1/2 milk, 1/2 buttermilk. If you want no lumps, use a ricer instead of a masher. I use a square masher. I tend to like some lumps. I also like Kennebecs for mashed potatoes...but often have both Kennebecs and Norlands (a red potato) mixed together.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #16
Sous Chef

The varieties here are different to the ones stated so I guess you just have to learn which are best for you as long as they arn't the salad type, then I add a dash of cream or full milk with my margarine and a sprinkling of celery seed ( which is the magic ingredient) fine salt and WHITE pepper.
I don't like garlic in my mash either Whiskadoodle

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I often make mashed potatoes with just the "potato water", no milk. I have tried adding butter, but I feel that I taste the butter more if I add it at the time of eating. Using the potato water is a trick worth knowing if you know anyone who is lactose intolerant.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Peel and cut up russets, boil until cooked, drain, rice into the pan over heat. Add butter and cream or sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix just enough to combine.

I occasionally add some Parm Reg. or other cheese after ricing.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Peel and cut up russets, boil until cooked, drain, rice into the pan over heat. Add butter and cream or sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix just enough to combine.

I occasionally add some Parm Reg. or other cheese after ricing.
+1
If you've never used a ricer you've missed out on the perfect "unmashed" potatoes. Perfection!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
Master Chef

Thanks everyone. When using my ricer (spaetsla) maker, I sometimes were the potatoes just riced, with butter, That's yummy too. I was looking for the perfect texture, and wondering if a combination of varieties might give me something better than any single variety. After what you've said, and with a little research on my part, it seems that russets, or ther starchy potatoes along that line are the preferred potato, although many swear by Yukon Gold, or Michigold, as they contain more starch than white or red rose postatoes, but not as much as a russet, plus have that beautiful color, and buttery overtones.

My MIL used evaporated milk in her smashed spuds, while my own mother used milk.

It seems key that you want to be gentle with the cooked potato, and mash with the help of a ricer, or manual masher, as that leaves the starch packets intact an prevents the end product from becoming pasty. Also, I read from several online sources that steaming the potato produces superior texture. I know from experience that baked potatoes give the mashed potatoes maximum potato flavor.

Here's a trick I sometimes use that makes delicious smashed spuds and an interesting presentation at the same time. I bake medium to large sized russets until the skin is a touch dry. Slice them in half, perpendicular to the length of the potato, and while still too hot to handle, grasp one half with a hot pad, and turn it on its end. I then use a fork to stab the potato flesh thoroughly. Add a tsp. of butter on top and stab that into the potato, taking care not to pierce the skin. After the butter is worked in, add a small splash of milk, again working it into the potato by stabbing with the fork.

Granted, this is labor intensive mashed potato making, but it makes a wonderful smashed spud that is full flavored, and slightly rustic. And, it's a great presentation, like a twice baked potato, but better flavor. And. it will give you the best mashed potatoes you can get at a restaurant.

Again, thanks. Now I just have to make some smashed spuds, using what I've learned.

Yeh, I'm a bit extreme. But doesn't that define passionate cooking?

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, potatoes