"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Perserving cream-style corn?

I'm planning on putting up some corn this week anyway (in the freezer), and it occurred to me that I may want to do some cream-style corn, which I use in my cornbread recipe. I found this info for freezing corn: National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Freeze
It lists two different methods for making cream-style corn. Anyone ever use either of these methods? Or a different one of your own?

Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Head Chef

I didn't look at those recipes yet, but I know folks that do a freezer creamed corn that uses lots of cream and butter, and they rave about it!!!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I bet, lol! I think the cream-style corn I get at the supermarket has cream in it too. These recipes intrigued me because they don't have anything in them besides corn, and appear to use the corn "milk" to get the creamy consistency. That sounded good for my cornbread recipe, which already has enough butter in it...
Old 10-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Cook

creamed corn has zilch in the way of dairy cream - as you mentioned, it's the "juices" of the corn that make the creamy-ness.

it's a starch (see: corn starch, roux, etc.)

there is a special doohickey for making creamed corn - looks like the 'teeth' of a madoline for juliene strips - followed by a scraper blade.

if you want kernel corn, it just gets sliced off the ear.

for creamed corn the theory is to bust open the kernels to release the juices which then mingle with the chopped up bits of the kernel.

similar to canned tomatoes - you can get 'whole' tomatoes or 'diced' tomatoes.....
Old 10-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Head Chef

true, but lots of folks like the butter/cream version. One can substitute evaporated milk for the cream in those recipes.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I think what you're describing, dillbert, is a corn zipper - and I am a recent proud owner of one. I plan on using it to de-cob all of my corn. There is just a slightly different method for creamed corn. The stuff I buy at the store does in fact have dairy in it, but I'm excited to make some without.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart
It lists two different methods for making cream-style corn. Anyone ever use either of these methods? Or a different one of your own?
I basically do the number two method...Cut the tip of the kernel off with a knife...use the back of the blade to scrape the milk out...heat thoroughly in a cast iron skillet..It will darken, and thicken slightly...You can add butter while "blanching", and you'll need to stir constantly to prevent sticking. Cool, package and freeze. HTH

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Cook

>>proud owner . . .

a-yup [g] - as a youngster I remember my parents buying corn by the burlap bag full (100 ears?) - we'd sit around having shucking contests . . . and then the debates over who got to wield the clever to lop off the ends.

I prefer to put up stuff 'unrecipized' - just cooked down tomato, for example, as it allows more flexibility in later use.

creamed corn I see in the stores is just corn, sugar and perhaps a thickener - now _recipes_ adding dairy cream, milk, etc. to creamed corn certainly abound.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
I think what you're describing, dillbert, is a corn zipper - and I am a recent proud owner of one. I plan on using it to de-cob all of my corn. There is just a slightly different method for creamed corn. The stuff I buy at the store does in fact have dairy in it, but I'm excited to make some without.
If you're adverse to using a sharp knife THIS tool works well for both nibblets and cream style corn...I had a neighbor that could run through several hundred ears fairly quickly using one...I just always prefered the sharp knife...

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Senior Cook

There were several styles available at the store when I went to buy my corn zipper - I don't think there was one like that, though, Uncle Bob. Bummer! I got this one - we'll see how good it works!

Tags
None